Author Topic: Virtuemart SEO - some ideas  (Read 33209 times)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Re: Virtuemart SEO - some ideas
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 07:35:45 am »
Yes, google pretty much states that SEF URLS are not of much consequence now.

However, they still do make a difference... even slightly... and being in 2nd place rather than 4th place can mean a huge click-through difference... and sometimes that rank difference equates to as little as an SEF url.

If you can set it up right, I still recommend it. Moreover, using cnames and wise domain names can help.

Every little bit counts.

lindapowers

• If you're going through hell, keep going.
    • Venta de naranjas online y mandarinas
  • Skype Name: manu.gonzalez91
  • VirtueMart Version: Latest avi
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 02:31:57 am »
I'm looking in to this SEO & SEF, I have been reading about Joomla SEO, turned it on too and use router.php for Virtuemart.

One of the moderators here told me It was a bad idea to use router.php, why is this?

But I have many doubts on VM Seo. For example

Doest it make a difference if I write long category descriptions for VM products? do these have any importance in a google search?

Same question for product details page, it is important to put a lot of text there?

Also in shopbrowse I see the "all products" display as H3 the same for the product title in details page. Is this correct?

Also I noticed the title of my site is with h1 componentheading and the rest of the page titles with h2 class contentheading.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 20:55:40 pm »
One of the moderators here told me It was a bad idea to use router.php, why is this?
I can guess on a few reasons why this was said. I use it however. Here are some problems with the router.
1. Multiple URLS generated for the same product and categories (though this can be inherent without router.php as well).
2. Does not support add-ons... like my wishlist hack, where other "page" parameters rely on router.php to handle, but router.php is not by default developed to handle.
3. A few of the pages in VM are not processed correctly by default in router.php. One of them I believe is the "Ask a product question" url, and another is in relationship to the "My account" URLS... maybe billing details... I cannot remember now.
All of these can be overcome tho, with a little research, and hacking, and use of my VM metadata hack (canonical URLS setting).

Doest it make a difference if I write long category descriptions for VM products? do these have any importance in a google search?
My opinion, it's not about length, but rather quality. A description should be added no matter what. This is an SEO basic (content quality), regardless of being VM or another shopping software.

Same question for product details page, it is important to put a lot of text there?
Of course... same as above answer

Also in shopbrowse I see the "all products" display as H3 the same for the product title in details page. Is this correct?
This is fine... could be h2/h1 if you want, but is probably pretty minor.

Also I noticed the title of my site is with h1 componentheading and the rest of the page titles with h2 class contentheading.
Yes, components put an H1, and articles (article manager) I thought now put an H1 as well. (h1 class="title").

lindapowers

• If you're going through hell, keep going.
    • Venta de naranjas online y mandarinas
  • Skype Name: manu.gonzalez91
  • VirtueMart Version: Latest avi
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 11:46:23 am »
Hello thanks for detailed answer

About the router.php I'm using this one http://sankuru.biz/en/downloads/104.html

works fine however I have no idea on how to change the urls created by that file and yes, still creates some duplicates, however I have not seen problems in any url.

The only problem I noticed is with the module categories on the left adding that "treeID" but for what I have read that is something related to the module and not the router.php file.

example:
http://www.comenaranjas.com/productos/naranjas.html?TreeId=1

correct url:
http://www.comenaranjas.com/productos/naranjas.html

What I'm using for now to set canonical links and meta descriptions is this http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/seo-a-metadata/7124

Works fine on those pages of VM where you couldn't add metatags.

What I did about the H1 H2 etc is remove the "add section/category or article title" and I added mysefl in the same article the h1 or h2 tags.