Author Topic: Virtuemart SEO - some ideas  (Read 33703 times)

merseyman

• Beginner
Virtuemart SEO - some ideas
« on: October 02, 2008, 14:51:44 pm »
Hi all,
I've been trawling through the forums trying to find a solution to making my Virtuemart sites more SE friendly and couldn't find too much info, so I thought I'd post my findings/ideas.

I'm using these for the following sites:
snugglebug-direct.com
wetrooms-online.com
I've recently completed these sites, so don't base the performance of these additions on their current pagerank!

Here's what I've come up with for Joomla 1.0.15 and VM 1.1.2.

I use Joomap to create the sitemap and submit this to Google
SEF Advance for SEF URL's - I know it's a commercial component, but with the virtuemart extension it works for me.
My eureka moment was finding mod_shCustomTags which changes the page title, page description & keywords when viewing categories or products - magic!
Also, I found mod_social_bookmark
**Edit - I forgot to mention that I also incorporated Linx - a reciprocal link exchange component.

Once again, the reason I'm posting this is to suggest some ideas and share my research - not to compare or promote certain components.
I hope it may help some folks out there.

Roger Lightening

• VisAbility: Joomla website developers
Re: Virtuemart SEO - some ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 13:53:41 pm »
Thanks Merseyman

I have used many of the components that you have high-lighted here. mod_shCustomTags is however new to me. I think that I should give it a try.

merseyman

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 19:37:20 pm »
I see there are a few forum posts enquiring about SEF product & category page titles/descriptions/keywords.
As far as I understand, the code for mod_shCustomTags has been incorporated into sh404sef (so it now includes this function), but this standalone module does the trick for me - and as it's a module, you can specify the pages you want it to change the tags on.

This obviously isn't a definative list, so feel free to add any SEO suggestions, or your combinations of SEO components/mods?

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 14:30:57 pm »
I dont use any component/extension etc for my site, and its crawled, indexed, and ranks well.

J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:16:08 am »
Here's a better solution for those who have many products in which adding metadata one by one would be extremely tedious. It is not an SEF solution, but an excellent meta tag solution.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=65697.0

TooToToo

• Beginner
    • Martial Arts Store Singapore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:36:29 am »
Thanks much, Merseyman for sharing yr findings which are so good.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 19:45:55 pm »
Yagendoo does SEF, but no metatags.

agentsmith73

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 14:05:16 pm »
I have recently written an article detailing some the available solutions for SEF in Virtuemart:

http://www.ianrsmith.co.uk/search-engine-friendly-sef-urls-for-virtuemart/

MikeUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 15:22:33 pm »
Interesting thread.

I think it is important to recognise the difference now between SEF url's and SEO.

Many people now (even including Google) have suggested that SEF url's may not be a benefit, and in fact that some complex systems may even be negatively affected by using re-written url's. I believe it is something to do with the info passed in the URL not being visible, and / or pages not being identifiable based on the visible URL (but I'm not so sure about the why - there was a Google article on it).

I have heard things about this over the last few years, but since I read the Google article on it (sorry no link, but it was within there webmaster info somewhere), I now wonder if we've reached the end of 'friendly' / rewritten url' for systems such as Joomla and VM.

Get answers faster:

I can build your online shop, setup or customize Virtuemart or help your existing shop maximize its potential. Email / PM for info

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 16:16:35 pm »
The reference is here: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/dynamic-urls-vs-static-urls.html

There was also a Matt Cutts video last year (I think) where he stated that Google has no problems indexing dynamic urls.

My view is that the only reason to use SEF these days is cosmetics - to make the url look good, not for SEO. More important for SEO is to ensure a good product title - which becomes the page title, and a short description with the key product features covered in the first sentence, as this is used for the meta description.
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VM 3.8.4.10335 on Joomla 3.9.21 PHP 7.4.9

uglyfashion

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 23:06:21 pm »
Hey I was wondering if anyone had an answer to this question:

If I have very short product descriptions, and I just copy and paste them as the long description too, will this affect SEO?

I know Google doesn't like duplicated content which, is why I ask.

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 23:29:53 pm »
Hey I was wondering if anyone had an answer to this question:

If I have very short product descriptions, and I just copy and paste them as the long description too, will this affect SEO?

I know Google doesn't like duplicated content which, is why I ask.

Nothing really wrong with that.

BUT I would not use the desc on the category page if thats all you have for the product page.

and this isnt the place for these questions
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2

beltoforion

• Everything is Possible!
    • Ofix-Comp
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 17:12:32 pm »
agentsmith73 very good info you got there, It would be great to see it as a post tho.

Jenkinhill
" My view is that the only reason to use SEF these days is cosmetics "

isnt SEF the one who defines 301 redirections,404 page not found ? or maybe  an extrafunctionality in some components like ArtioJoomsef..

question is:

Do I need to install this type of component to throw google a 404 when he tries to access an old category or product?
wanting to learn to create good templates

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 18:21:32 pm »
Do I need to install this type of component to throw google a 404 when he tries to access an old category or product?

I dont ever delete products that have been around a while. I have an "archive category" where I move products to that will not be on the site anymore.

But yes, SEF components do help with those.
I do not use them though.

J3.9+ VM 3.4.2

beltoforion

• Everything is Possible!
    • Ofix-Comp
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 20:08:20 pm »
I had to reinstall my joomla cause of some problem, that is what happens when u dont backup ur site often, now I do it.

so, I reinstalled joomla, virtuemart and have a new list of products, and I access Google webmaster tools everyday to check if it has changed, I have like three weeks doing it, it has not changed, and on google results I see categories that do not exist anymore...

hope this month it gets fixed, I changed Crawl rate..
wanting to learn to create good templates