News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

No Shipping Labels or Tracking Numbers?!

Started by foonyak, September 09, 2008, 18:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foonyak

I have started this new thread to get to the bottom of this - there are sooo many threads of people asking about labels and not one clear answer.

Please correct me if I am wrong but what I assume is:

Virtuemart is a shopping cart software with no support to print labels or derive tracking info to be displayed in admin. You actually have to MANUALLY create labels and MANUALLY enter tracking info each and every time a product is sold?

I really love this project but this fact is mind blowing.

You cant call this complete without that type of support.

What gives - is this in the works? Why such a delay? Is it super complex? Seems with the API's offered it would be simple...

I have been reading for hours and all I see are weak hacks for USPS - a company that doesnt cut the shipping cheese in our opinion.

Basically we need support for automated labeling and tracking of shipped packages whether UPS, Fedex or DHL. Can any one give some advice? The last thing I want to do is install OSCommerce... :P

ltllzrd

There is a table for the shipping label:
jos_vm_shipping_label

Not sure why it's not connected to anything, but theoretically, it could be.

Remember that this is an open source project - meaning that most of the developers have day jobs. In the however many years since Virtuemart first got rolling it has come a LONG way. I work on a commercial ecommerce CMS for my day job and believe me - even when you have a paid team of developers you don't end up with everything you think you should have.

If you've got an urgent need that can't wait for "free" development time, hire a developer - http://www.vm-expert.com/.

Joomla 1.5.7 - VM 1.1.2
Saving the Internet from blinking text and animated dogs, one site at a time.

foonyak

Thanks for your response! I guess its just kind of irking me that recent changelogs show work on a darn newsletter and I cant even print labels. :D Oh well, priorities are different from some i suppose - thanks for the link and your comments!

KG6BGJ

Can Someone point me to the documentation on the Track, Print Label and Void labels columns in the order list? I'm trying to determine if these are implemented and what the roadmap might be.

I'd also like to understand if the intent is for these fields to be populated by the shipping module or manually, or even by virtuemart.

lowmips

I think a lot of what you see is simply framework, to be implemented in the future...

-Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)