Author Topic: VM for Donations- Hide Price and allow users to enter quantity  (Read 9793 times)

jlucare

• Beginner
VM for Donations- Hide Price and allow users to enter quantity
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:24:42 am »
I am working on setting up a shop for a non-profit (www.him-usa.org) to accept donations through Virtuemart. I have tried using the custom attribute hack that has received so much activity. This hack has not worked for me so I am trying another route and am not sure how to do it.

Instead of the hack, I would like to set the "price" of all the products in the shop to $1.00, but not display the price in the shop. The amount of the donation will be based on the quantity of the product that the user inputs during the shopping process multiplied times the "price" of the product.

Where I am having a problem is hiding the price on the front-end (I was able to get rid of the price label by commenting out a few lines of code in the fly page) one the product page and the browse page (I tried working with the browse1 page, which is what my shop is using) but no luck. I also need to change the "Quantity" label on the same pages to "Amount". I have made the change in a couple of the english.php language files without success.

I guess the question boils down to what files control the front-end pages? I apologize for such an elementary question.

Virtuemart is not currently running on my live site. I am running the VM test date on VM 1.1.2 on a test server with Joomla! 1.5.6 until I can work out this problem. Here is a http://www.him-usa.org/modules/test/index.php/virtuemart?vmcchk=1.

Thanks to anyone who can provice some insight into this or point me in the right direction.

Regards.

ranail

• Beginner
Re: VM for Donations- Hide Price and allow users to enter quantity
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 00:17:17 am »
i need the same mod, did you accomplish this? if not, I will have to dig into the code and see how it can be done. I need to take deposits and donations.

markspillane

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:10:46 am »
Joomla 1.5
VirtueMart 1.1.3 stable

I have a Joomla charity website where I want to give people the ability to donate a user defined amount using virtue mart.

Can someone help me with this?

For instance, I would like a user to be able to click on a "donate" button on the site, and be directed to the virtuemart product page where they define how much they want to donate, they then register, make the payment via our merchant services payment gateway and then receive a receipt. We then also have a history of payments.

PLEASE HELP Smiley

mark@gunmedia.com.au

curtix

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 17:43:59 pm »
I too am searching the forums for this. Non Profit and would like to accept user input donation amounts.

chuckscroggs

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 18:14:16 pm »
We are all looking for the same thing can someone give any direction?

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 18:15:55 pm »
why do you need a shopping cart for donations?

There is a donate module for joomla
J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)

chuckscroggs

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 00:47:55 am »
The question above was WHY. So here is the answer. People like to do everything in one place with one management system. A donation is just the ability to allow the user to designate the amount they are paying. Because there are not any self contained systems that will both sell products and take donations or sell products that can be paid out in increments i.e. user designated pay amount, then we are asking here where the majority of what we need already exists.

The challenge is that many VM users love the software but are designers or site managers and not programmers. I'll try not to vent here but I have been using Joomla for many years and there is a huge disconnect between a programmer and a designer. I hope that this explanation helps a programmer understand WHY someone would ask for such a thing.

People want to manage their donations in the same admin software as their shopping cart because they use Authorize.net and VM has a built in module for that. Many of the other donation and or carts are not equipped to handle that. That's the WHY.

If you need more explanation I can write a book but I hope to get some help without the long version.

cedc

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 16:50:12 pm »
+1 for this. It would also allow non-profits that have items for sale (whether it's donated goods or promotional items) to include a donate option within the same payment, perhaps?

quiquedcode

• Beginner
    • Beza - Custom Joomla Templates
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 21:48:28 pm »
+1 for this
I'm searching for a way for shoppers to be able to set ammount for a "money gift" in a weddings gifts joomla-ecommerce-store.
The virtuemart would have a category "weddings" and the listing should go with:
John - Marisa
Peter - Mary
Kevin - Justin
and so on...
user selects the wedding, sets an ammount, pays, and their receive a message from the wedding couple
Custom joomla templates !
www.beza.com.ar

brandon1934

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:39:48 am »
+1 for this too. :)

I need this because I need to be able to process an order by saying "FREE with any donation"".  A not-for-profit can't sell products without having to file a separate IRS form at the end of the year to claim commercial income.  By saying "Free with donation" you don't have to track this.

rcristofrf

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:42:22 am »
+1 for this.

Brandon got the point.

sbrowny

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:17:35 am »
+1 for this!

Gee... this has been ongoing since Aug of 2008 and still no resolution?   ???

geoffr

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 06:12:09 am »
I'm also needing a 'Donate' - 'specify amount' option.  Is it available yet?

Thanks,
Geoff

quiquedcode

• Beginner
    • Beza - Custom Joomla Templates
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 19:33:16 pm »
I'll ask my client if I can release the complete modded VM installation so you can check it
Custom joomla templates !
www.beza.com.ar

mstroven

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 17:02:53 pm »
I am also searching for this capability!  +1