Author Topic: Beginner's Guide to Web Payments  (Read 10456 times)

nethers

• Beginner
Beginner's Guide to Web Payments
« on: August 30, 2008, 11:06:12 am »
Addition: lets keep the language and tech stuff SIMPLE! Beginner's guide!

A lot of people seem to ask questions about this (and I've by no means mastered the knowledge), so lets make a post beginners can use to find out about accepting payments online.

Like many who use VM, I have a shop with a couple of hundred items. The business is a hobby or speculative (ie I don't want to throw big money at it until I'm convinced it's a winner). I don't want to be paying a monthly fee or anything and want to be able to process payments through a respectable name. What are my options and where do I start?

My experiences and advice below - please add to it!

PayPal - A well known (sometimes infamous!) name. Apparently easy to set up through VM though I've NEVER had IPN working reliably, even with the best efforts of the forum, and people here seem pretty resigned to it being awkward now. Difficult to test through the sandbox (they can't just give you a sample card/bank account and a test mode, you have to set the whole thing up manually). Paypal is more interested in getting your customers to sign up then processing a quick and simple payment. After a couple of purchases, I'm told it forces them to! Setting things up at the Paypal end isn't that straightforward, but you'll get there in the end.

On the plus side, it's secure and reasonably priced for a small business.

Anyone got any further with Paypal or had a different experience getting it running with VM?

Paymex - A NZ based processor that looks very friendly to buyers, and the IPN script all works very well until payment is complete and the status needs changing - harks back to the PayPal problem! The IPN system is almost exactly the same as PayPal. Paymex are developing their own free VM module for this and admit it doesn't work properly yet, so I'll be keeping my eye on them.

How about alternatives for people in this typical situation? Is there a basic system that WORKS out of the box for those who don't want to fiddle with code?

Just scrolling down the posts in this forum, we can save people a lot of time by recording our experiences in one place!

YourHoop

• Beginner
Re: Beginner's Guide to Web Payments
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:29:39 am »
I ran on plain old Paypal for months. Recently upgraded to Pro...used http://myjoomlaextensions.com  module which worked like a champ.  But if you don't want to pay monthly fees, Paypal works fine. The only issue I had was with the unsecure shop image on the paypal site - which many have complained about that here with NO answers.  It was resolved once we got our own SSL cert...a one time payment.

nethers

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:43:01 am »
Thanks for the input! I just put up with the unsecured image warning too, I guess it's probably something PayPal should address (if they're happy for you to pop an image on a payment page, they should offer secure hosting for it).

Continuing my Paymex experience - it continues to look better and better, it's really nice for my customers to click 'pay' and be faced with a simple screen for their card details... they don't even need to change their personal details, the script passes them over perfectly, a card number, expiry date and verification code and you're all done.

Shame there isn't a provider offering this sort of service internationally, it's for NZ sellers only sadly. Or is there? Is anyone using a good, international, 'free', non-PayPal solution?

Maryke

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 13:03:35 pm »
I have set up an EFT payment (Electronic Funds Transfer) and would like the bank details where the money is to be deposited on the "Purchase Order"

Is there a place where I can edit the purchase order template?

nethers

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 22:52:54 pm »
I have set up an EFT payment (Electronic Funds Transfer) and would like the bank details where the money is to be deposited on the "Purchase Order"

There are a few options for you here. Perhaps the easiest way is to create a new payment method (virtuemart > admin > store > add payment method) and set up an 'address only' method called 'bank transfer' or something similar. All the other options can be left as defaults.

In the configuration tab enter something like:

Code: [Select]
<p>Please deposit the balance for this purchase in to our account, number xxxxxxxx etc
</p>
<p>
We will confirm receipt of the balance and despatch via email.
</p>
<p>
Thanks for your custom!
</p>

That message will turn up on the 'order confirmed' screen. I seem to remember that those instructions will then appear on the invoice emailed to the customer. If not, it's an easy hack to make them, and I'll talk you through it. If that sorts your problem, please post again and tell us a bit more about your payment methods - why did you choose them, what's good/bad and what would you like in an ideal world!

Lets make this the thread for cheap and easy solutions!  :D

DeeCee

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 02:59:42 am »
I'm currently using PayMate for NZ purchases as it is an Aus/NZ thing and it a payment module for VM has already been designed. Not sure on the international side but most people recognise the PayPal name so thats why I have a PayPal merchant account but its not operating yet.
I take no responsibility for any lost work. It is your responsibility to back up files before attempting anything I suggest as I may be:
a) intoxicated
b) high on sugar
c) can't concentrate due to lack of sleep

If you like my hacks, feel free to buy me a coffee, muffin or both :)

paypal: deecee23 at gmail dot com

Hacks in progress: Manufacturer Logo Hack - 100% done

nethers

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:27:06 am »
I've had a quick look and see that Paymate/PayPal are similarly priced. How is it to use (from a buyer's POV?). I see it accepts some foreign currencies (the big ones!) but not all.

It looks like you have to an Aussie/Kiwi bank account to use it. I'm looking for alternatives for my site too, so I may play around with it.

Right then VMers - what are the other options!

DeeCee

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 05:40:25 am »
Comments reference New Zealand circumstances.

At the time when I was going through options for merchant services, I found that either Paypal or Paymate were the best options with respect to cost and support through Joomla.

I have a kiwi based account here in NZ, so its just a matter of specifying which bank you are with (kiwi or aussie) and its done. With PayPal, I had to specify a credit card to process transactions against, which isn't in my best interest with respect to transaction processing as I use my CC for other parts of the business.

Paymate deposits direct into my account so its less of an issue for me working through my CC. Processing takes approx 24 hours.

Other services such as DPS/Payment Services, Paystation, ZipZap and other Local bank solutions have a dual fee system.
You pay one lot of fees to the gateway provider and another lot of fees to have a merchant services account which allows for processing of credit cards.

So as you can understand, with a new business start up, its not exactly cheap to have online transactions when you are paying two lots of fees and paying maintenance on your merchant account just for online transactions.

Online business is suppose to reduce the costs and overheads, but going through the more known payment gateways is not as cost effective due to the setup/transaction/maintenance fees from the gateway providers and sliding schedule of fees that the banks specify.

example ZipZap merchant rates:

With Paymate, its a 3% + 0.50c transaction fee and I can calculate and build in my credit card transaction fees onto my overall price and see what kind of discount I can provide to customers without having to consider how much turnover I will produce per month/cycle.

Setup costs on Paymate are free up to $5000 total transaction amount per month, or a $30 per month maintenance fee up to $15000 total transaction amount per month.

Here is a nice little article on online transaction payments in NZ, though not in depth:
http://motive.co.nz/guides/small-business/online-payment-options.php

At the time of all this, Paystation and ZipZap did not have extensions for Joomla/VM but now they do.

There was also Worldpay, but I had never used it much in my online buying travels, so I didn't even bother looking in depth.

Bank merchant fees are generally only provided on enquiry. Lets just say that dealing with a range of numerous banks shows how they keep that information to themselves a lot :lol:

From a buyers prospective, its just a gateway. Tap in details and funds get processed.

The cool thing about not having payment processing on your website is the lack of need for SSL and the fact that you are not responsible for retaining CC information. Makes things a lot easier when you dont' have to deal with that side of the security.

Paymate works a treat for me at the mo, though the module needs a small hack to open up a full sized window instead of popping open some random tiny box.
I take no responsibility for any lost work. It is your responsibility to back up files before attempting anything I suggest as I may be:
a) intoxicated
b) high on sugar
c) can't concentrate due to lack of sleep

If you like my hacks, feel free to buy me a coffee, muffin or both :)

paypal: deecee23 at gmail dot com

Hacks in progress: Manufacturer Logo Hack - 100% done

nethers

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 03:22:40 am »
Fantastic post DeeCee, thanks.

Anyone else got thoughts on these issues?

Is there an international option for everyone?

SynergyStudio

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 16:59:53 pm »

There are a few options for you here. Perhaps the easiest way is to create a new payment method (virtuemart > admin > store > add payment method) and set up an 'address only' method called 'bank transfer' or something similar. All the other options can be left as defaults.

In the configuration tab enter something like:

Code: [Select]
<p>Please deposit the balance for this purchase in to our account, number xxxxxxxx etc
</p>
<p>
We will confirm receipt of the balance and despatch via email.
</p>
<p>
Thanks for your custom!
</p>

That message will turn up on the 'order confirmed' screen. I seem to remember that those instructions will then appear on the invoice emailed to the customer. If not, it's an easy hack to make them, and I'll talk you through it. If that sorts your problem, please post again and tell us a bit more about your payment methods - why did you choose them, what's good/bad and what would you like in an ideal world!

Lets make this the thread for cheap and easy solutions!  :D
I did that and while the banking details show up on the confirmation screen, they are not showing up on the confirmation e-mail sent to the customer.  How do I hack the system to make them show? :)

SynergyStudio

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 23:05:00 pm »
Can anyone help with placing the bank details in the e-mail to the client?  I cannot find which file I need to change.

HELP PLEASE

TIA :)

mus1402

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06:41 am »
any update to this thread?
***><>*<>*<>*< DISCOVER the HIDDEN SECRET how 18yr old make thousands dollar monthly - http://tinyurl.com/HowToMakeMoneyOnFiverr >*<>*<>*<><***