Author Topic: Authorize.net Transaction ID x_trans_id Length change  (Read 13094 times)

mkraft

• Beginner
Authorize.net Transaction ID x_trans_id Length change
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:34 am »
I received an email tonight from AN advising:

If you use the transaction ID in any of your own applications or databases, it is critical that you verify that your system is architected to accept a value that exceeds 2,147,483,647. Failure to accommodate values larger than 2,147,483,647 will result in your system's inability to accept Authorize.Net transactions.

I checked ps_authorize and the code uses this field and as far as I can tell this data is stored in the jos_vm_order_payment table in the order_payment_trans_id table. The field is a text field, so I am sure there won't be a problem, but I'd feel better if someone could confirm my understanding.

Thank you!

TheWebGuy

Re: Authorize.net Transaction ID x_trans_id Length change
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 19:18:59 pm »
Can a developer PLEASE RESPOND it is CRITICAL for those of us using Authorize.NET and there appears to be quite a few POSTs which have not been answered concerning this issue.

Thank You.
TheWebGuy

djcoo

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:20:09 am »
Well nope I can't help with this one... other than... to say good luck!! and Good luck to me once I get far enough along to worry about payment methods....!!There are developers posting all over on here, I'm sure someone could send a PM to them, I'm not sure who or how they have moderators set up on these forums...

DeeCee

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 19:30:26 pm »
I dont' use authorize.net but try a varchar(255) or an integer on the table entry instead of text
I take no responsibility for any lost work. It is your responsibility to back up files before attempting anything I suggest as I may be:
a) intoxicated
b) high on sugar
c) can't concentrate due to lack of sleep

If you like my hacks, feel free to buy me a coffee, muffin or both :)

paypal: deecee23 at gmail dot com

Hacks in progress: Manufacturer Logo Hack - 100% done

TheWebGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 19:36:00 pm »
Thanks for the response...but I wasn't planning on changing anything unless it actually does break (since no response from anyone who might know would make me assume it's OK?), and since you don't use Authorize.NET...I won't "fix-it" if it ain't broke :-)

hopefully by the time this change goes live from Authorize.NET I'll have moved to a much more reliable shopping cart :-)

DeeCee

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 19:47:53 pm »
well looking at MySQL documentation, the text field is 255 characters long standard. Changing to integer or varchar won't make jack difference and it seems that authorize.net error code is wrong if the field allows up to 255 characters.

MrKraft hasn't responded that this is still a problem, so it could just be an anomoly.
I take no responsibility for any lost work. It is your responsibility to back up files before attempting anything I suggest as I may be:
a) intoxicated
b) high on sugar

TheWebGuy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 19:53:12 pm »
I seriously hope it doesn't cause any issues. Instead of changing it to integer or varchar, I would leave it as "text" so that it allows an unlimited number of characters. This I assume would virtually eliminate all issues with length of Authorize.NET's transaction ID.

DeeCee

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 19:58:40 pm »
So whats so critical about this issue then if the field parameters already allow for the required amount of characters that authorize.net asks for?

I'm not trying to start a mass debate here, but if there is no problem, then whats the issue? Maybe its authorize.nets problem, not VMs if the field is correct for storing the transaction ID
a) intoxicated
b) high on sugar

DeeCee

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 20:04:45 pm »
i just found this:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=44971.0

Dear Authorize.Net Developer:

The Authorize.Net transaction ID is the payment gateway generated number used to identify each transaction a merchant submits. The transaction ID can be can be found in the transaction response. It can also be found using the Search and Reports features of the Merchant Interface.

The transaction ID, or x_trans_id, is specified as a 10-digit integer. If you use the transaction ID in any of your own applications or databases, it is critical that you verify that your system is architected to accept a value that exceeds 2,147,483,647. Failure to accommodate values larger than 2,147,483,647 will result in your system's inability to accept Authorize.Net transactions.

Note: This information only applies to you and your merchants if you are currently using the Authorize.Net transaction ID.

If you need to make updates to your transaction ID architecture, you must do so prior to September 1, 2008. In August, we will be notifying merchants of this issue and instructing them to contact their Web developer to determine whether or not it applies to them.

If you have any questions, please contact developer@authorize.net.

Sincerely,
Authorize.Net

so A.net uses a 10 character integer.
trans_id field allows for a hell of a lot more than a 10 character integer.

So no problem :)
See - solved
a) intoxicated
b) high on sugar

TheWebGuy

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 20:06:39 pm »
It's critical only because no one has said it isn't. And it can effect the actual customer transactions shutting the store down.

I'm not an expert (by any means) in the php/mysql realm.
I'm just assuming (with my basic understanding) that it will be OK.

I don't have enough experience or knowledge which allows me to honestly say "without a doubt" that it is fine and there will be no issues.

Which is why I'd like to hear from someone who is much more experienced than myself and can assure us it won't be an issue.

TheWebGuy

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 20:10:46 pm »
That was the email which was sent out Aug 1st to Authorize.NET customers. No one on this forum answered to assure it would be OK.
There are people who know less than I do about this stuff that could have used reassurance with this issue.

Yeah it went live with the new code on the 1st and it all appears to be fine. By the way it's 12 characters not 10 :-)

Again this wasn't really the issue. The issue as it's always been from my perspective is the lack of response on this forum.

This was just one of many posts that I have which have gone unanswered.
I've had it and flamed the response which has drawn some laughs and ire, no big deal at all.

Hope you all have a good one!
TheWebGuy