News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

VirtueMart 1.1.1 Patch Package Released

Started by gregdev, June 24, 2008, 21:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregdev

We have just released VirtueMart 1.1.1. This is a required update.

Version 1.1.1 contains a required patch for the automatic updater and must be applied before you will be able to update to any later version of VirtueMart. This ensures that future updates will go smoothly.

To update to version 1.1.1, login to your VirtueMart administration area and switch to the "Simple Layout". Next, choose "Check for Updates" from the "Admin" menu, then click the "Check now!" button and follow the instructions there. (Or, you can download the 1.1.1 patch package directly, save it to your local hard drive, and choose to "Upload a Patch Package" from the "Upload a Patch" tab.)

Be sure to switch to "Simple Layout" before beginning the update.

Note that because VirtueMart 1.1.1 only contains a patch to the automatic updater, only the patch package is being provided. There is no full installation version of VirtueMart 1.1.1.

Very soon, we will be releasing version 1.1.2, a maintenance release that will contain many fixes for issues found in version 1.1.0.

Note: The patch can also be applied manually, as in the past. This is important for those who have applied customizations (i.e. hacks) to any core files. Just download the patch files by hand, extract them, and ftp them to your site. There are no queries to apply for updating to version 1.1.1.

[tr][td]
[/td][td]
www.plainlycode.com[/td][/tr]
[/table]

gregdev

Known issues

1. For sites using Joomla! 1.0.x with PHP4, the updater fails with an error:

QuoteFatal error: Class vmsimplexml: Cannot inherit from undefined class jobject in /administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/simplexml.php on line 85

Fix: 1) Download a new version of simplexml.php from here. 2) Extract the zip file into the administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes directory. 3) Delete the patch archive and directory from the /cache directory. 4) Logout of Joomla!, then login again. 5) Try to update again.

[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/table]

Fernando Soares

Hi,
I updated to VirtueMart 1.1.1 but when I try to check for updates get nothing.
Tested in Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7.

UPDATE:
1. First installed with downloaded package and get error.
2. I go back to VirtueMart 1.1.0 and try to update by click in Check Update buttom. Get an message "Connection Failed", not error.
>>> 3. I try to update other site in other server and ALL works fine!!! <<<

The server with error on update have PHP 5.2.0 with SAFE MODE ON, Apache 1.3.37, MySQL 5.0.27 and Joomla! 1.5.3.

The error(Firefox 3):
Error: missing ) in parenthetical ...:
Source File:
http://..../components/com_virtuemart/fetchscript.php?gzip=0&subdir[0]=/themes/default&file[0]=theme.js&subdir[1]=/js&file[1]=functions.js&subdir[2]=/js/admin_menu/js&file[2]=virtuemart_menu.js&subdir[3]=/js/admin_menu/js&file[3]=nifty.js&subdir[4]=/js/admin_menu/js&file[4]=fat.js&subdir[5]=/js/mootools&file[5]=mootools-release-1.11.js&subdir[6]=/js/mootools&file[6]=mooPrompt.js&subdir[7]=/js/extjs2&file[7]=yui-utilities.js&subdir[8]=/js/extjs2&file[8]=ext-yui-adapter.js&subdir[9]=/js/extjs2&file[9]=ext-all.js
Line: 626, Col: 12
Source Code:
(Connection Failed)

Fernando Soares - Joomleiros Brasil!
Espeshitpillta em Joomla! e VirtueMart
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fernando_soares

Bob Bloom

Are you saying that the one-and-only change VM 1.1.1 represents is the automatic updater?

Are you saying that I will not be able to update to VM 1.1.2 and later versions if I do not install this automatic updater?

In light of Soren's comment in my recent blog post that affirms my hunch that this auto-updater will simply overwrite files (http://www.southlasalle.com/blog/beware-vm-auto-updater/), what do you intend to do for my clients -- and for those in the VM community -- who have source code tweaks.

Surely, you are not contemplating that the sole method of installing VM updates is via your auto-installer?

Surely, you intend to provide patch files so that we can preserve our source file changes and keep our VM up-to-date with the latest release.

You also have to be absolutely crystal clear that this auto-installer will blithely overwrite all effected files.

One of the conditions of posting add-ons to the new VM extensions site is that extensions so listed:

QuoteHacks which alter VirtueMart source code must do so through the standard Joomla! install and uninstall process. Uninstalling should revert any changes made to VirtueMart source code.

This is certainly an ideal to strive for; however, there is no facility to track changes to source code. So there is no way to roll back affected source code changes, except to overwrite a modified php file with an original php file.

I have a somewhat lengthy blog post about this at  http://www.southlasalle.com/blog/over-extended-virtuemart-extensions/.

So it appears that VM wants to automate VM version updates and create VM extensions akin to Joomla. These are welcome features -- very welcome features!

However, the reality is, I don't create separate php files for my VM "extensions". I modify core php files. Even if I could place all my modifications in a separate php file and just use INCLUDE statements in the core files, I would still be modifying core files!

So as welcome as automation is, my clients cannot utilize it until there is a facility to track source code changes.

-Bob
Bob Bloom
freelance Joomla speshitpillt
http://southlasalle.com

Roderick1

I have updated to the new version but still there are problems, when the product is shown next to it are the buttons + and - to add more of the same product to your basket. These buttons show up like little balls that are very hard to klik on.
http://www.artmaniagalleries.com/online-gallery.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6

aravot

As mentioned in the announcement VirtueMart 1.1.1 contains a required patch for the automatic updater and must be applied before you are able to update to any later version of VirtueMart.

VirtueMart 1.1.2 contains many fixes including the quantity arrow fix which will be released soon.

SOFTWAREKOCH

Hello !

After i copied the file "simplexml.php" on the web server ia was able to use the automatic updater. it installed the Version 1.1.1.
The only message i got was :

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/update.class.php on line 193

The error was shown, but the update was done.

So i dont know is the update ok, or is there something to do for me.

Thank´s in advnace for any idea.

best regards dietmar

aravot

It could be php4 issue, I strongly suggest upgrading to php5, almost all softwares are dropping php4 support even Joomla in v1.6.

I personally tested v1.1.1 at least 15+ times on both J1.5 and J1.0 versions worked every time without any error.

I stopped using php4 since November 07, will try to install and test it but only if I find the time.

brainz

Firstly i would like to say...

Joomla version is: 1.0.15
Virtuemart version is: 1.0.15
php version is: 5.2.0-8

I downloaded the patch lucky i backed up the previous version of the site. And then a extracted the gz file on my desktop then FTP'ed  to the root directory of the site. Then i proceeded to upload the patch.

I uploaded the patch and tried to access the virtue mart section of my site and i got a error.

The error is related to the layout of virtuemart.. I read that i have to change to simple layout rather then extended layout. However it seems the version of virtuemart doesnt seem to have this option to change layout.

any help would be appreciated...

regards
brainz

jenkinhill

Quote from: brainz on June 25, 2008, 10:02:16 AM
Firstly i would like to say...
Joomla version is: 1.0.15
Virtuemart version is: 1.0.15

This update is for VirtueMart 1.1 - not the older VirtueMart 1.0.15

To update from VM1.0.15 to VM1.1 (if you wish to do it) you should download the appropriate manual installation package from
http://dev.virtuemart.net/cb/proj/doc.do?doc_id=1005 and follow the instructions provided.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

gregdev

Quote from: SOFTWAREKOCH on June 25, 2008, 09:12:37 AM
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/update.class.php on line 193

So i dont know is the update ok, or is there something to do for me.

Dietmar,

Your update was successful. We'll fix the warning message in a later release. You can safely ignore it (it only occurs during the update process and just indicates that we had no queries to process, which is fine in this update).

Greg

[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/table]

korb

Please check my bug reports in the Quality and Testing section and apply those minor fixes. Try first those fixes and apply to VM 1.1.2.
Some useful links:

[BUG] Rev 1422 translated and missing string in order edit

[BUG]On product flypage is not shown right parameters title

[BUG]Advanced search acording to parameters redirects to wrong page..

[BUG] Breadcrumb error with advanced search according to parameters

The last 2 have been fixed by dancetools in this topic
sh404SEF & VM Search Results

I TESTED the fix with all revisions 1424-1435

Thank you

gregdev

Bob,

Thank you for your comments - they are helpful. I hope I've addressed you concerns sufficiently below. If not, let me know.

Are you saying that the one-and-only change VM 1.1.1 represents is the automatic updater?

Yes. Many users will only update via the automatic updater. It was necessary to release these updater fixes separately, otherwise they would have problems in later updates. We must support these most common users too.

Are you saying that I will not be able to update to VM 1.1.2 and later versions if I do not install this automatic updater?

This is true if you plan to use the automatic updater.

But as in the past, you can still download the patch archive directly, extract it, and ftp the files to your site. The file update.xml inside the archive lists the files that have changed. The patch archives for the automatic updater are the same as the old patch archives - they just have an additional xml file listing the changed files and any database changes. We will be clearer in the future about this option.

In light of Soren's comment in my recent blog post that affirms my hunch that this auto-updater will simply overwrite files (http://www.southlasalle.com/blog/beware-vm-auto-updater/), what do you intend to do for my clients -- and for those in the VM community -- who have source code tweaks.

Well, they are your clients - I would assume that you will support them by applying the patches and migrating your tweaks by hand, as in the past. As for other users who have tweaked core files, they can apply the patch manually too - that is normal.

Surely, you are not contemplating that the sole method of installing VM updates is via your auto-installer?

Surely, you intend to provide patch files so that we can preserve our source file changes and keep our VM up-to-date with the latest release.

Surely. That is why you can use the patch files manually as they are. Any queries that need to be run will be inside update.xml.

You also have to be absolutely crystal clear that this auto-installer will blithely overwrite all effected files.

The automatic update process presents the user with a clear warning about this and requires that the user agree to this by checking a check box before the update can proceed.

Greg

[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/table]

Bob Bloom

GregDev,

Surely, I will not use the word "surely" in future posts!

Thank you for your full and fast reply.

Having a manual and an automatic update process in tandem is terrific.

Surely!

-Bob
Bob Bloom
freelance Joomla speshitpillt
http://southlasalle.com

mauri

I´m stuck.
Check now gives error Connection Failed

I try to Upload a Patch Package. It gives error Unable to decompress data

J!1.5.3
VM 1.1.0
PHP 4.4.8