Author Topic: virtuemart logic help needed  (Read 1472 times)

helenbn

• Beginner
    • Pretty Good Designs | Hey, that's pretty good!
virtuemart logic help needed
« on: June 05, 2008, 23:49:01 pm »
I have read the Users manual. I have read bunches of posts. I am missing something.
I have Joomla 1.5 and Virtuemart 1.1. It all works fine. I just don't get the organization. Products, categories, subcategories, product types, attributes, items, media. I think that is the extent of it. I just need more examples of how this works but more importantly why you make the choices you do for setup. I have looked at the sample data. I understand what's there. But there has to be FULL understanding in order to set it up the right way.
Is there any other manuals or a patient moderator that would like to run through this with me using just one of my complicated items for sale? I figure if we could get one post that could cover this, it might help out lots of others.
I have a store for a band. They sell t-shirts, CDs, casettes, mp3 downloads and album downloads.
So far I have:
Category
  • clothing
  • music
Under Clothing I have a product "t-shirt." that's it. Just one, but I have 4 sizes, so Attribute "Size" and properties
  • S
  • M
  • L
  • XL

Under music I have a list of products by title of recording collection. If more than one format, then I created an attribute called "Format" and each property of "CD" (at full price) and "Cassette" at -$10. Somehow I need the option to download each track or the entire album.
I set up Product Types of
  • T-shirt
  • CD
  • Cassette
  • MP3
I guess I then assign these to each product...?
The parent/child thing evades me. I don't see a "new item" button to add one anyway.
So could someone tell me the best way to set this up?  ???
I use Virtue Mart 1.1.3 & Joomla 1.5.10