Author Topic: Multilanguage with virtuemart 1.1?  (Read 9693 times)

voidwalker

• Beginner
Multilanguage with virtuemart 1.1?
« on: May 25, 2008, 22:52:24 pm »
is this possible ?using the latest joomla and virtuemart. i want multilanguage in both the frontend interface of virtuemart and both the product descriptions. would this be possible ? i really need it. to make both a local and international shop in the same site; languages romanian and english

cherylcollier

• Beginner
Re: Multilanguage with virtuemart 1.1?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 19:40:28 pm »
SO do I have you found any solutions yet?

Larry Rooney

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 19:11:28 pm »
Perhaps we can creat a discussion with other people who are going through this same problem. I have J 1.5 Virtuemart 1.1.1 and want at least English and Polish on my site. Since J 1.5 and VM1.1 are new I know there are many people struggling with the fact that Joomfish (according to what I've read on forums) does not work with VM 1.1 for now. I am trying M17n which works for menus and content but I don't seem to be able to make it work for modules. I have all the VM language packs installed in spite of not needing all of them. Other than installing language packs I can find no information on how translation in VM 1.1 was meant to be done. Obviously it was meant to be done and has been done in the previous J 1.0 and previous VM with joomfish. I have even read about people going back to them instead of persisting with J 1.5 and VM 1.1. I do not care to go backwards as J 1.5 and VM 1.1 are superior and will be great.

bon

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:07:46 pm »
Yeap we here have the same problem.

Also want to have product descriptions in different languages, selected upon the sites chosen language by the visitor as with e.g. m17n.

(German and English in our case but thats a minor detail.)

Don't know if it could be as simple as the following:

I think I am safe to assume that Virtuemart selects showing of a product's description based upon several flags/variables.
If there'd be a check on the language setting for a product's description ...
Can it be that easy to implement that ?

(I have never coded for Joomla! so ....just a thought :p).

Larry Rooney

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 17:18:08 pm »
My M17n works good for menus (if you follow their method) and works for certain modules like login not search or frontpage but there are workarounds. I haven't really added content yet to test article translation. I think this is done by making the translations in their languages and assigning them to the same page and they are selected by the language button (like the menus). The store is translated (in my case eng/pol) but I can see no way to translate products. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with VM because the language selector works fine in the front end but in the backend I see no option at all for assigning a language. I read the documentaion and can only find how to install languages.

shom

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 22:39:22 pm »
this issue is soooo important!

they are working on it. however, in the meanwhile can I put two virtuemart stores on the same site?

thaks,
Yoav

Larry Rooney

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 14:16:38 pm »
That is an interesting question that makes me wonder why you would want to do that. I don't pretend to be an expert, but an expert would want a lot more details about what you were specifically trying to do. Two completely separate stores on one joomla installation or two joomla/virtuemart installations on one server? The second is very easy to do by changing the data base prefix in the joomla installation of the second from JOS(default) to MOS (or something else).

To me it would be pretty tricky to install two separate stores on one joomla installation and keep them from interfering with each other, but you could make the two stores seem by working with templates and CSS but using the same store and data base for both.