Author Topic: Display product item  (Read 11229 times)

pg

• Beginner
Display product item
« on: April 27, 2008, 00:41:16 am »
I'm new to virtuemart and learning how things work.  I know there's a number of modules but I can't find a way to display a product item directly.  For example the product categories module displays a link to the products but I don't see a module or parameter that will allow the product itself to display on the page.

Mike

• Beginner
Re: Display product item
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:05:54 am »
Where are you wanting to display just a single product? In a module or a joomla content item? If a content item is what you are after then the mambot product snapshot will help with this.

If not let me know, what and where you want just one product showing and I will have a look at the modules and see what I can find. I have never tried to have just one item showing all of the time other than in a content item, so I have no idea if it could be accomplished with the current modules. As normally a random selection is good.

pg

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:27:37 am »
My idea is to use virtuemart with expose gallery.  Someone did manage to get the two working together but I have a different idea about using the two components. 

Expose photo gallery would be displayed on the page with a virtuemart module published on the same page.  There is only one product type (a photograph) and I would add a text field where a user could input a short product ID to differentiate photos.  The user would click "add to cart" after writing the ID and selecting the size and the order is created.

It seems as though using the product category module would work although it would add an extra step to a purchase.  Not knowing much about virtuemart please let me know if my idea just doesn't make sense, still a lot to learn.

Mike

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 21:24:28 pm »
If I understand correctly you are wanting to show a joomla page with the gallery component expose showing. Then in a module position have a module showing a single image from the shop. The virtuemart module is going to show the shop item to sell the same picture as they are viewing in expose?

To be honest before I try to help direct you better I have never used expose so I am not sure how it works and if it has already been bridged with virtuemart, but the general concept is the same.

Quick query though, would the product images in virtuemart not be okay on there own without using the gallery. Or are you only selling a certain number of items in your gallery and not all of them?

If you wanted to make this then you would need to come up with a way to link the gallery item and the virtuemart product then the easy bit is creating the module. This could be as easy as naming the picture in the gallery exactly the same as the virtuemart product name. Thus giving you a link else you could store the information in a database table thus eliminating any possibility of naming conflicts if other people are updating your site.

As for passing a text field including some text back in to Virtuemart now that is the hard bit as virtuemart is not expecting this so you would have to get it to pick it up. This is why when a product that has attributes that need filling in you can not simply add it on the browse page and must go to the product page itself.

Hope this helps.

If you have a working site with expose or know a site with it please let me know and I will see what I can come up with quickly as I just need to see an expose url which is the easiest and quickest way to pass information.

Which joomla and virtuemart are you using?

pg

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 03:41:26 am »
I wasn't thinking of a bridge or anything like that.  I setup a subdomain where I migrated to Joomla 1.5 and installed virtuemart 1.1.0  It's a very simple site and photography is a hobby so don't bother too much for me. 

http://test.skylinephotography.com/photogallery.html  As you can see the virtuemart module is published and by clicking on "Print" it goes to the page where it displays the product info.  All I'm looking for is to have the "add to cart" form to display on the same page on Expose.  I suppose I am just looking for an add to cart module which can display a couple of attributes.