Author Topic: Joomla and VM migration/upgrade  (Read 8251 times)

Bruce Morgan

Joomla and VM migration/upgrade
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:30:54 am »
I have a live site hosted remotely and would like to migrate to Joomla 1.5 and also upgrade Virtuemart to 1.5 immediately afterward.  I do not have my progammer available anymore so I am hoping this can be accomplished in a single day and not have my web site down for any longer that that time.  This whole concept of "migration" makes me nervous. The Joomla forum in not too hrelpful on this so I am wondering if someone using VM has done the same thing and can help?

I earlier had help migrating from Mambo to Joomla and all of my database prefixes are still "mos" instead of "jos".  Is there a simple way to change all of these?  Would someone be able to give short checklist of things that I need to do to to try and make this work??

Bruce
www.pepper-passion.com

iqapps1

Re: Joomla and VM migration/upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:09:42 am »
Hi!

It's one script for migrtion from a J!1.x.0 to J!1.5...
For VM I should recomed you to use a csvi to migrate from VM 1.0.x to VM 1.1...

My recomendation is to do move on local server and see all is ok first before you do that on live server...
It works but...it's some work!

Regards
IQAPPS

oldsteel68

• Self Defense Products
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 19:10:56 pm »
Could you please elaborate on csvi a bit and how to go about doing this? I found nothing helpful on the csvi web site.

Ive tried downloading some tables from my 1.0.15 vm installation from PhpMyAdmin..(jos_vm_categories, jos_vm_products and a few others). When I upload them to a 1.1 test installation it shows everything in the database, but not in the site (backend or frontend).

Some insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You

iqapps1

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 20:40:06 pm »
Hi oldsteel68

CSVI do that job for you what you don't understand about a csvi!?
Please ask! Moving tables trought phpmyadmin from VM 1.0.x to 1.1 will be a pain job if you don't know all changes in db tables maded between 1.0.x and 1.1  versions.
Only thing with cavi can be a if you have a PHP 4.x version on your server.

Regards
IQAPPS

oldsteel68

• Self Defense Products
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 22:01:45 pm »
I dont understand how to use it... At all  ???

If I export with csvi from my fully running virtuemart then import that file into the new fresh and empty virtuemart, it will create all the categories and add all the products?

RolandD

• Home of CSVI
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 04:21:57 am »
I did not see this thread before but would like to jump in here. First of all, this thread was started by Bruce on how to migrate. Though I appreciate the discussion on CSVI, I think it should be held somewhere else.

@oldsteel68: Did you read the howto?

Now on topic.

@Bruce:
Though I think CSVI is very good at importing/exporting data, I do no think it should be used to migrate VM. It is simply not designed for that. There are parts of VM data, CSVI does not even touch. From what I understand, VM 1.1 upgrades from VM 1.0 without problems assuming you have a vanilla (clean) installation.

As for the Joomla portion, I would think this to be a bigger challenge. Though I have not done a migration, I was lucky to get hacked and had to start from scratch ;), it seems to be quite a challenge. Make sure all your components/modules/mambots (plugins in 1.5) work under Joomla 1.5 before you even decide to migrate.

As IQAPPS said, best is to do a local installation and test as much as you can on that before actually going ahead with your migration.

Last but certainly not least. BACKUP before you do any kind of migration.

HTH
Regards,

RolandD

CSVI
http://www.csvimproved.com/