Author Topic: [Worked Around] Please Help: Downloadable Product File to be sold Doesn't work  (Read 4956 times)

robbief

• Beginner
Hey there,
VirtueMart looks beautiful.  Thanks.  I'm sure my problem can be easily resolved.

I specifically downloaded and installed VirtueMart 1.1.0 to be able to sell DVD ISO images of my show.  They're anywhere from 3-4.7 GB in size.

I learned my way around VirtueMart just fine; I RTFM.  So I know where to go, and I know what I'm doing.

I've created my product, and now I'm adding media to it.

I've selected "Downloadable Product File (to be sold!)" on the list, but the only files that show up in the auto-generated "Filename" pulldown list are the bitty ones in my download path.  My rather large ISO images, which are in the same folder do not show in the pull-down.  I have tried, just for the sake of testing, renaming them short filenames (tried tmp.iso), but still it doesn't show up in the pull-down, as if the file weren't there.

If VirtueMart is setting to only allow files up to a certain size, where can I turn that off?

Thank you VERY much for helping me resolve this!!

Robbie Ferguson, Technologist
Category5 Technology TV
www.Category5.tv

robbief

• Beginner
Re: Downloadable Product File (to be sold!) Doesn't work.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 23:24:56 pm »
Perhaps shedding light on this... or at least a little:

I tried this... rather than relying on the automated "Filename" dropdown, I selected Downloadable Product File (to be sold!) and then pasted the filename into the "File URL (optional) field.  This seemed to take, but then, when I tested the download, instead of my file, I got a PHP output as my downloadable file.  I opened this in my text editor, and here's what I got (replacing my paths for security reasons):

<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize</a>]: stat failed for /home/myfolder/CAT5DVD03-NTSC.iso in <b>/home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php</b> on line <b>254</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php:254) in <b>/home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php:254) in <b>/home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php</b> on line <b>256</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php:254) in <b>/home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php</b> on line <b>257</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php:254) in <b>/home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php</b> on line <b>258</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php:254) in <b>/home/myfolder/mysitefolder/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/connectionTools.class.php</b> on line <b>267</b><br />

It should be noted that the output of this error lists the CORRECT file location of my ISO file.

robbief

• Beginner
Re: Downloadable Product File (to be sold!) Doesn't work.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 23:29:27 pm »
So it looks to me that this is a PHP vs. VirtueMart issue; does anyone have a solution, hopefully that does not involve modifying my PHP installation?  I'm on a shared server, so that wouldn't be the best solution for me.

Thank you in advance!!

robbief

• Beginner
Re: Please Help: Downloadable Product File (to be sold!) Doesn't work.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 13:25:44 pm »
Anyone have any ideas?  Unfortunately, because I have to have this up by the weekend, if I don't find a solution, I might be stuck having to look at a different product; and I really don't want to do that.  I really like the look and functionality of VirtueMart.  So please, help  :)  hehe.

I appreciate it.

gregdev

• PlainlyCode
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 04:47:57 am »
Hi Robbie,

It appears that this is a bug in PHP:

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27792

Please feel free to visit dev.virtuemart.net, create an account, join the VirtueMart project, and place a feature request for a workaround for this. We may be able to find one, but that might be nasty. It really is a PHP bug.

Greg

robbief

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 23:41:55 pm »
Oh man, that's a bummer!  I hope they fix it soon!!!

Thanks for the URL.  I'll look at the VirtueMart code, and if I can create a workaround in as little time as I have (virtually none) to invest in this, then I'll share it back with the community.  Probably replacing filesize() in VirtueMart with something that works over 2GB, even if I'd have to create the function myself...

Finger's crossed.

Anyone already have a fix?? Please share to save me (and others?) some time!!

robbief

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 23:43:01 pm »
I ended up using the Linux command:
rar a -m5 -t -v716800k CAT5DVD03-PAL.rar CAT5DVD03-PAL.iso

Now, the DVD is five separate RAR files.  It opens fine in file-roller in Ubuntu Linux, and no doubt it will also open fine in WinRAR or 7-zip.

Because the files are set to only 700 MB each, VirtueMart sees them and works with them as the 2GB PHP bug no longer applies.

Thanks for your help!!

filmfarci

• Beginner
    • Site-Cration.eu | Web Design & Web Video
I ended up using the Linux command:
rar a -m5 -t -v716800k CAT5DVD03-PAL.rar CAT5DVD03-PAL.iso

Now, the DVD is five separate RAR files.  It opens fine in file-roller in Ubuntu Linux, and no doubt it will also open fine in WinRAR or 7-zip.

Because the files are set to only 700 MB each, VirtueMart sees them and works with them as the 2GB PHP bug no longer applies.

hello rob, (or anyone else)

is there a way to do this on windows with .zip files?

or any other way to sell downloadable files bigger than 2 GB ?

I only found a PHP patch; http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=48886
 but there's no step-by-step explanation

i am urgently trying to find a solution for our .iso files of Tai Chi instruction videos on http://www.tai-chi.me
marc

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
filmfarci, adding your question to a 2 year old solved thread means it is likely to be missed!

Anyway, see this solution for large file downloads using Amazon S3.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=54261.msg177502#msg177502
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VM 3.4.3.10057 on Joomla 3.9.8 PHP 7.0.33
Testing VM .3.6.0.10075 on Joomla 3.9.8

filmfarci

• Beginner
    • Site-Cration.eu | Web Design & Web Video
ok, sorry kelvin, but thanx a lot!
i thought there should be a solution found, but just couldnt find it.
so i was a bit hesitating to start a useless new topic
marc