Author Topic: Custom attribute Hack  (Read 56914 times)

Marco

Re: Custom attribute **** VM dev and hack guru: Please read *****
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 10:30:18 am »
Hi

A lot need this hack for VM 1.1, so do I.
I allready contacted a coder a few weeks ago to have a look at it.
At that time he responded that converting this hack to VM 1.1 could be done and the price was not so high.(round 120$)
I allready dropped him a mail today, asking if he could start on converting the old hack to VM 1.1.
I don't mind sharing it with the community when it is finnished.
Maybe it is an option to convert the old hack first, so all people that need it can start working with VM 1.1.
When there is a working solution we can look for a better solution, with VM future updates in mind.
As soons as I get an answer, I'll post it here.

bobthebob01

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 10:40:27 am »
Hi Marco,

that is a good news in a way. i agree with you to have a hack to start with.

now since so many people are willing to pay for it, i don't see why you should bear the cost on your own. if it does cover my needs as stated in my first thread, i'm willing to send you my contribution.

Does your version of the hack is the exact same one as the one for VM 1.0.x?

what are the other think about this?

Sublimetime

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 10:54:09 am »
I am willing to split the costs with you. email me keykoder@gmail.com

** Thank you Macro for having a less talk, more action approach on this. I could only hope the rest of us reflect the same attitude. **

Marco

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 10:57:03 am »
The only thing I asked for to be added, is adding a prefix to the uploaded file name.
Like a date or something.
The rest of it should be the same idea.
Adding more features will slow down the convertion to VM 1.1 I think.

I don't mind to bear this first convertion on my own.
I found many solutions on this forum, this is my chance to give something back.

Maybe you can set something up for a better soltution for this hack and collect donations for that.

I don't know when to expect an answer, he is asleep right now and maybe he has other plans this weekend. So it is possible we will know his answer not any sooner as monday. Could be he has no time right now to do the convertion. But let's think positive  :)

Sublimetime

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 10:59:20 am »
The only thing I asked for to be added, is adding a prefix to the uploaded file name.
Like a date or something.
The rest of it should be the same idea.
Adding more features will slow down the convertion to VM 1.1 I think.
I don't mind to bear this first convertion on my own.
I found many solutions on this forum, this is my chance to give something back.
Maybe you can set something up for a better soltution for this hack and collect donations for that.
I don't know when to expect an answer, he is asleep right now and maybe he has other plans this weekend. So it is possible we will now his answer not any sooner as monday. Could be he has no time right now to do the convertion. But let's think positive  :)

** Marco just restored my faith in geek humanity*** I Will donate whatever result comes out of my elance rented coder as well.

Thanks man..
May the source be with you

Sublimetime

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:25 am »
I am writing up the project needs right now for elance, I was hoping maybe I could get some input from you guys as far as what specifics would be important. We don't need just a port of the old hack do we? I know for me ( selling toughbooks) I can really use a more in depth customizer.

bobthebob01

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 11:19:56 am »
We can start gathering the needs and since i started the thread i will add a section on the first post listing the need.

you just need to PM or post the exact definition of what you are trying to achieve.

i'll start with mine.

And here we go! at least we are getting somewhere  ;D

Marco

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 11:29:36 am »
I've been thinking about this also.
What I would like to be able to make sets of standard attributes that could simply be added to a product.
A lot of products could work with the same attributes, for example selection attributes.
Instead of typing the attribute code (like with this hack) every time, you just pick a ready made attribute from a list or something.

bobthebob01

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 11:32:48 am »
Do you mean like a class of attribute?

so you can predefine them at the beginning and have a drop down menu showing up for each product to chose from.

do i understand properly?

Marco

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 11:40:10 am »
Yes, having something like an attribute designer/customzier/editor, were you could make your own (standard) attributes once and save them.
I could live with the same features (selection - text(area) - file - etc.) that are in the original hack.

With the product you can then select wich attributes you want to use.
Dropdown is not a good choice I believe, you must be able to select multiple attributes with a product.

bobthebob01

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 11:52:06 am »
just amended the list, how does this sound. was i clear enough?
though i think that this start being more than just a simple hack, but definitely worth mentioning it for a long run mod or added feature in VM.

Maybe this thread will inspire the core team? who knows?

unleash.it

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 02:44:20 am »
Sublimetime, you're a jughead with a loud mouth who has no sense of appreciation. Grow up. You'll no longer receive a response from me.

The others: It was never my intent to not be productive. Perhaps I could have done a better job wording my post, but it was my honest intent to donate a bit of money to the cause. I tried to point out that aside from having a bit of cash ($500 by the way is a drop in the bucket for a professional dev), we'd need to find someone willing to do it. The best way to do that is hardly to insult all the VM devs who just worked so hard to get out the recent release... Trust me they've read this, and there's a reason none have answered.

As sublime says, I probably am an idiot ;). I never had a close look at the mod until now, and it's not exactly what I thought it was. My first impression was that it added database fields for front end specs, that would be new fields for entry in the admin backend. I think a "product builder" would be a great thing too...but at least in my work, it's something that I've been able to find workarounds for. I think it's a good one for the wish list, good luck in your crusade :)

bobthebob01

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 06:43:13 am »
guys, stop this. it goes no where.

We are on the same boat, so let's paddle together in the same direction.

Yes the VM dev. have made an amazing work. Personally, i'm waiting to finish my VM site and get paid to make a donation to VM; as i think they deserve it BIG TIME.

I'm pretty sure that if everybody was giving at least just 10$ per site site they make with VM, it could help the dev a lot. And what is 10$; even if you undercharge a lot your site you make at least 500$ which is already ridiculous and no one should charge so little for a site (but that's another debate); that mean everybody should be able to give at least 10$.

that being said, before i can get paid, i need to work this custom attribute issue.

so so far we are only 2 people with a wish list item, and ready to make a donation?

come on guys!

another note, i could work around it for now but i still haven't figure out how to make it optional. I tried a few thing but it was not working. I just want to make that if people don't enter anything in the text field, you can still add the product to the cart; which is not the case right now.

let's see if marco gets a reply from his guy.

Sublimetime: i have posted my needs on the front page. Have you been able to post  the job on elance yet?

Marco

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:14 am »
I've got a response.
This is what he wrote:

I'm sorry to report that there is some changes in VM1.1 that complicates the conversion of the hack to VM1.1. In the beta version, the custom attributes is not part of the template system. However, in the release, custom attributes html is done through template.

What this means for the upgrade,
1. We can try using the non-template version of custom attributes. The upgrade is much simpler and probably the cost will not be far from the $120 I have quoted.
2. Complete conversion to the template version. This would mean a major rewrite of the code. This not only involves re-design, re-coding but also extensive time in doing debug and tests. I need some time to make up an estimate for this. Probably the cost will be around $1000.

The drawback of 1 is the hack will not be compatible in style with the rest of vm. Instead of using a template, the html will be hard-coded in php. Otherwise, it should work. If you are still interested, please provide me a vm 1.1 for doing development and testing. This hack should be ready for testing within 1 week.

I'll set up a test site for him to work on, later today.
Option 1 is good for me to start with.
I pointed him to this topic, maybe he is willing to take on this bigger project also.
We'll have to wait for his answer on that.
It would save time to find someone on elance and we know we have someone who knows the way in VM and joomla.
He has done some jobs for me in the past and is active on this forum.

Any news I have, I'll post here.

Marco

Sublimetime

• Beginner
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 11:48:19 am »
Excellent MARCO, Thank you.

So, if I understand correctly. It would be better for me to not post the project on elance for right now? Also, I am happy to assist in any way I can for the developer your talking to .. Eg. Money, a test site, ect. Just let me know what I can do.

I was waiting for the end of the weekend before I posted to eLance anyway, So you guys let me know what you think.

unleash.it -- even your (relevant) input is encouraged here, lets not let our difference in viewpoint and opinion hinder our progress here, agreed? All in all , I wish you and the rest of this community all the success you deserve.

signed - Jughead   ;)