Author Topic: Changing the core - to clone or not to clone?  (Read 3779 times)

_oscar_

• Contributing Developer
Changing the core - to clone or not to clone?
« on: April 26, 2009, 13:17:15 pm »
Hi All,

I'm running a shop with >100.000 articles (see http://compactmail.com; it's in Dutch though). Is had to make an extension that will be released somewhere soon (a modified mod_virtuemart, database extensions and modified core files), but there's a lot more I need/want to change.
First of all, with that many articles, the site gets s-l-o-w! I can change parts of the API to improve the speed, but therefore I need to change core-files, so it cannot be done as an add-on.
Other issues I want to change because the current implementation don't meet my demands (the way discounts are handled to give an example) also require updating core files.

I don't have a problem with that; I can make those changes and implement that, but others might benefit from this as well, so I'ld rather have them put back in VirtueMart somehow.
I'm looking for the best way to do this. I don't wanna volunteer to become member of the development team (simply because the way this team works, with weekly scheduled chats, is not possible for me), and I'm not sure if it's possible to stay in sync; there's a lot I wanna change and I'm gonna use 1.1.3 for this. By the time I'm done, VM might be several versions further already.

I suppose the options are:
- Clone and implement it just for me
- Clone and make available as a VM clone that can be merged later
- Find a way to stay in sync with the VM codebase.

I don't like the first one.
What do you think, any suggestions how my efforts can be made available to others?

For those who need more info on what I did, I attached the 'Media extension' (as I call it), but keep in mind:
- it's not fool-proof
- there no admin- backend (I wrote an interface, so I don't need it)
- READ THE README; if you use it, use it for testing only!

Take care,
Oscar

PS: Please don't add any of this code to the current VM codebase without notifying me; some things are not yet as they should be.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

aravot

• Peter
  • Quality&Testing Team
    • VirtueMart Extensions
Re: Changing the core - to clone or not to clone?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 22:52:35 pm »
Hello Oscar,

We are working on the next version of Virtuemart, you don’t have to join the team to improve Virtumart, although it is recommended because you can commit your changes to SVN and fixing bugs will be easier rather than using forum or direct email communication.

New features and core code improvements are being added to the new version, if you want to contribute please PM me for details.