News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Cart not working as expected - VM1.1 RC3 with J1.5.2

Started by soulpad, April 01, 2008, 22:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulpad

As the title says, the details are...

I click on a product (installed from the sample data) and the text in the mini cart flashes but it doesn't change (it still reads 'Your Cart is currently empty'). I get the popup box that says "The product was added to your cart".

Also, if I select a product with variants, like the hammer, choose my options and Add to Cart then the popup box says I need to select a variant. When I click OK, the text flashes as above but doesn't change.

I'm using FF2. Cookies and JS enabled. I didn't have this problem with VMRC2 and am using exactly the same setup.

Any ideas?

jenkinhill

You need to use a different browser from the one running the admin session to be able to buy from the store. It works then... I think this is something that changed after the last Firefox update. I now use FF running on two different PCs to test, one in admin, the other as a shopper.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rc3

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 01, 2008, 23:59:39 PM
You need to use a different browser from the one running the admin session to be able to buy from the store. It works then... I think this is something that changed after the last Firefox update. I now use FF running on two different PCs to test, one in admin, the other as a shopper.

I have the same problem BUT my admin session is running in Firefox 2 and my cart is in IE7. Do we now need 2 PCs to administer VM? Or constantly log in/out?

jenkinhill

No I have sessions running in FF, IE and Safari on the same PC at the moment with no issues.  :)

Have you tried the latest nightly build? http://dev.virtuemart.net/cb/proj/doc.do?doc_id=1328

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rc3

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 02, 2008, 16:24:14 PM
No I have sessions running in FF, IE and Safari on the same PC at the moment with no issues.  :)
Have you tried the latest nightly build? http://dev.virtuemart.net/cb/proj/doc.do?doc_id=1328

I'm using the nightly build-1. If that makes sense. Not the absolute latest but pretty close. I don't know the revision #.

I'll try tonights nightly build later and report back.

soulpad

Hi both,

The latest nightly build does not improve the situation with Firefox. I believe I'm using #1333. I am logged on only as a shopper, there are no admin sessions running on this machine, nor has there been since a reboot.

It's the same trouble with IE7. Each time I add a product to the cart it tells me that I have to select a variant and nothing gets added.

Ideas gratefully received - I'm all out of them  :(

soulpad

Fixed!

The problem was with the 'default' template. On a hunch, I replaced it with the template files from a previous nightly build that was working last week. As if by magic, everything worked perfectly.

I've downloaded and thoroughly played around with the latest nightly build and all seems well. Bit of a mystery to me but I'm sure someone out there will know how/why these things happen.

Can you please tell me which files are used to make the text flash when a product is added? I'd like to examine this further.

Great work all of you - I can't wait for it to go final!

soulpad

And one final thing... I just can't leave it alone!

Testing the same template across different nightly builds I have noticed the previous problems are resolved when reverting a change in theme.js to it's original code. Perhaps you can explain the reasons why this change was necessary but it does seem to cause some trouble...

on line 93 of theme.js
option = { method: 'get', onComplete: callbackCart }

has become
option = { method: 'POST', onComplete: callbackCart }

When I change it back to using the (old) 'get' method the cart works fine. But when using POST it will fail every time.

Hope this helps.

duffeaap

I get a similar problem with RC2 and RC3 with J1.5.1.

When I add a few products to my cart everything is fine.
The VirtueMart shopping cart module shows there are products in the cart.

When I click Checkout I get the message that my Cart is empty.

When I set the method to 'get' instead of 'POST' in default/theme.js there is no difference.

It also occurs for me, but I am also using the Admin part. (using FF)
Checked worked with a fresh IE when all cookies are cleared. Later I tried again and I had the problem again.

This occurs for some test users who do not connect to the Admin part. (using FF)
You can test this at: http://www.kitesafe.nl

This is a pretty serious issue for me and since its the RC3...

soulpad

I've checked your site and see your trouble. It's definitely not the same problem I had, this may explain why the same change has not improved things.

Is it possible you've changed other files which have subsequently been overwritten by a later nightly build?

duffeaap

I don't think I've got a file problem.

I installed a fresh version of RC2 which already had that problem.
I just copied the RC3 over it today to see if anything changed.

You think it might help to run J1.5.2. instead of 1.5.1?
Maybe I should completely remove VM and try a new manual install?

soulpad

Hmmmm. I like your site, by the way.

I didn't realise you could just copy RC3 over RC2. I've always done a fresh install. And as soon as there are problems I backup my current site and install the nightly build.

A fresh install may just eliminate your problem immediately. If it doesn't... :-\

And I'm not sure whether or not J1.5.2 will make any difference but I thought there were some important updates in that release so it's probably safer all round just to do it anyway.

duffeaap

Alright.. I wasn't sure how people were doing these fresh updates.

I'll backup the old site + DB and do a fresh install of VM RC3.

Thanks for the compliment. Its not very flashy yet and we've not added all the products, but work is in progress! ;)