News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

sef problems

Started by samoht, January 29, 2008, 18:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samoht

I am having problems with my urls.

VM 1.1 beta3 starts each of its urls with:

?page...

the only link that seems to work is the add to cart button which takes me to /index.php and shows the cart. The show cart button goes no where (actually it goes back to the home page) which is the same with all other links from VM.

Also, none of the VM url's are sef - (will VM work with Joomla! 1.5 built in sef ??)

Any thoughts?
I use Joomla 1.5! and VM 1.1

jenkinhill

Links work fine with me. Joomla's inbuilt SEF may not work with VM1.1, but there will be alternative third party SEF solutions.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

samoht

Quote from: jenkinhill on January 29, 2008, 19:03:19 PM
Links work fine with me. Joomla's inbuilt SEF may not work with VM1.1, but there will be alternative third party SEF solutions.

So sef for VM 1.1 will need to wait for the 3rd party extentions?

Soeren

Yes,
this is due to a bug in the SEF link creation in Joomla! 1.5 (Legacy Mode).

ciao, Sören
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

unleash.it

Soeren, thanks for the definitive info on this. Do you know if it will work in Native mode or if Joomla has plans to correct the problem?

Currently, I don't think there are any 3rd party SEF components for Joomla 1.5, but there is talk in the Joomla forums about work being done on at least one (by Spiderglobe). The one drawback to a 3rd party SEF if it bypasses the core router, is compatibility with smaller 3rd party addons. Native would be nice, but I guess this is how it's always been.

jenkinhill

Quote from: unleash.it on January 31, 2008, 10:18:12 AM
Currently, I don't think there are any 3rd party SEF components for Joomla 1.5,

There is already one, smartSEF. How good it is - well we will see in due course.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

samoht

So far smartSEF only works about half way with VM.

I am having some issues with the show cart button and the mini-carts refreshing when something is added to the cart.

Otherwise smartSEF is a very nice component.

richard_spiderglobe

Ls,

Let me shortly introduce myself. I'm Richard the core developer of smartsef (www.smartsef.org). Smartsef is an URL SEF rewriter for Joomla 1.5

Currently I'm developing a smartsef router plugin for Virtuemart which I will proberly release at 21 febfruari. There for we are searching for BETA testers for Smartsef in combination with virtuemart.

If you are interested in testing the component + plugin please reply on the post on the smartsef forum:

http://www.smartsef.org/forum/index.php?topic=71.0

Regards,

Richard

unleash.it

I just spoke with Richard at the OpenSEF forum and he says that he can't support VM 1.1 for now. This still leaves us with no SEF urls yet  :(. Maybe he can eventually, but so far there's no way I know of to achieve search engine friendly URLs with Joomla 1.5 and a good e-commerce system.

Soeren mentioned that the current problem with Native SEF was a Joomla bug. But even with Joomla 1.51 (and some router changes), SEF and VM still do not jive. I know VM 1.1 is still a beta and the devs must be busy with all sorts of problems, but some kind of official statement about SEF and weather it will be eventually possible natively would be a huge help to those deciding to use or stick with Virtuemart. SEF urls are so critical for e-commerce sites.

aravot

Quote from: unleash.it on February 15, 2008, 00:14:24 AM
I just spoke with Richard at the OpenSEF forum and he says that he can't support VM 1.1 for now.

If he is not supporting VM 1.1, than which VM version? because VM 1.0.x series are not compatible with Joomla 1.5

unleash.it

I was meaning to post an update over here. A few of us explained that to Richard and he's changed his mind. He says he's now working on a VM plugin for 1.1 (in SmartSEF) and it sounds like it will be pretty flexible. I think he has a few people already, but if anyone's interested in helping him beta test, here's the link:

http://www.smartsef.org/forum/index.php?topic=71.0

As far as sh404SEF, at this time it only works with legacy enabled. SmartSef will work natively.