News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[NOT A BUG] Orders in back end of online demo

Started by willowtree, January 26, 2008, 14:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowtree

would it be possible to add some orders into the back end demo online, it's very difficult to see the core of VM (order management) when there are no orders there. I tried ordering in the front end of the demo but the orders aren't in the backend.

Thanks,
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

Most of my code posted in the forum is for VirtueMart 1.0  -  not for 1.1

willowtree

I try to be supportive on here, and not complain or moan about lack of support etc which takes up a number of threads, but to be honest this kind of response is just not helpful. Yes, i could spend all morning installing php/mysql on my machine to test the latest nightly etc but like others I have many other things that need doing, please don't assume it's just laziness. For your information I have 7 weeks to go before having a baby, we're building an extension, i'm trying to run a site, i've got 2 large events to run in the next few months so excuse me for asking what I feel is a valid question.

Would it really be that difficult for someone with the correct access to just make a few fake orders on the system so people can actually try out the demo. It would take all of what 5 mins? I tried to create orders myself but it's not connected to the front end demo by all accounts. This is a great example of creating work for the core team. If we could all get in there and use the system perhaps it would be easier to indentify bugs/improvements and solutions.

I'm not sure what good the demo is doing when there are no orders there anyway. I don't use VM just to display things, it's there to take orders, and for me to be able to process orders so without that functionality in the demo why should i bother wasting my time setting up a server to test.

A little bit of give and take would be nice sometimes rather than these flat replies of do it yourself which are getting rather tiresome. I might as well just hack at VM to suit myself and not bother spending 5 mins to post here with a solution to anything or an improvement.

The core developers can't take 5 mins to improve the demo so why should any of us bother trying to pitch in with things.
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

aravot

Today for testing purpose to helping some else troubleshot admin layout view I installed WAMPserver in just 3 to 4 minutes, installed Joomla 1.5 and VM 1.1 and configured both in 7 to 8 minutes total 10 to 12 minutes, sorry (why should I be) if you feel your time is more important or valuable than ours, none of us are 13-14 year old teenagers behind computer with nothing better to do, we too have family, business and life, furthermore if you try it yourself in the process you might discover some bugs that we may miss, help us to help you.

willowtree

Very difficult to install WAMP on a MAC. Glad your expertise in joomla and VM enabled you to do that so quickly, I'm sure you have installed many times so are quite adept, how good for you. I'm not at all suggesting that your time is less valuable than mine, I was simply suggesting that for the sake of those 10-12 mins some orders could be placed in the online demo to enable others to look at the new system.

If I could do that task I would, but I can't, and the core team obviously don't want to, they would rather moan at the community for not installing local servers.

I did write a whole load more about this but you know what I can't be bothered, I was trying to help, to look at the potential shipment feature that I read about in another post, to see how it was going to work, if it was complete, if it could be improved, to offer to help but i'll just sort it out myself.

help us to help you.

You might consider that this initial simple request was to help us(the community) help you (the developers) by being able to look at the code.

I won't bother anymore.

willowtree

in case anyone else is looking,  it appears that there are orders in the system, you just can't see them in the orders list.

If you go to the statistics tab you can see some orders and click on them to administer.

Perhaps a more productive first reply by the devs would have been that there are orders there but there's a bug which doesn't let you see them, try looking in the statistics panel to access one, rather than the apparantly standard response of do it yourself.