News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[FIXED] Admin Layout Non-functional

Started by praeter, January 13, 2008, 15:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

praeter

Just to set the ground work... I am new to VirtualMart yet a multi year user of Joomla/Mambo. Also a strong php developer.

I am having an issue with any of the VirtualMart 1.1 versions installed on Joomla 1.5 rc4. I originally installed VM 1.0.13a which installed and seemed to work for my immediate needs less when I clicked on any category from the shoppers point of view, it always returned all of the products not just the products in the category despite the url query which appeared correct. Knowing you stated that 1.0.x anything is not officially supported on Joomla 1.5, I decided to install VM 1.1. Now the actual com_ install completed with no errors, but the admin screen will not display correctly, nor do any of the save, exit update... buttons actually execute anything. Now I have tried 1.1 Beta 2. I have tried two or three different current nightly's. They all look the same and none or them work. After searching the forums, I have yet to find anyone else having this issue, so I am therefore here to help myself and hopefully the community.

What does it look like:

Instead of the admin menu residing on the left with the configuration forms on the right and all buttons having the proper icon, my admin menu takes up the entire screen width with the configuration forms framed below the menu, also taking up the entire screen width and the buttons only displaying the label (ie 'Save' no icon) and having no effect when pressed.

The system is a shared hosted server, but has all the required software versions.

I need ideas where to look. This seems like a viable product for two different deployments I am working on, if i can get past these stumbling blocks. 

Jim

Additional Information>>> The style of the admin interface looks like it is without CSS and is plain old HTML.

jenkinhill

This is caused by the development versions installing with 777 file permissions. CHMOD all VirtueMart component files to 644 - both in front end and admin/backend.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

praeter

I know I am new to this application, but I guess I am confused how giving a file less permissions will fix an issue. I am really great full for the response, I am just tring to understand how the application works.

jenkinhill

On many servers, such as the ones I use, a PHP script will not be permitted to run if it is set to 777, as this is potentially unsafe - hence the need to CHMOD. Once the bugs are ironed out of VM 1.1 and it goes to stable release this should no longer be an issue.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

praeter

Sadly, especially because this is a hosted server and changing file permissions on all those files from cpanel's file manager is nearly one at a time, no change in the display. Some of the web page errors have gone away, like I do not get the jet error but it is still completely unusable.

I guess I never ran into the excessive file permission problem in the past mainly because I would never grant all those permissions but still no success.

jenkinhill

I use FileZilla to change permissions over ftp. It is a good Open Source FTP client.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

praeter

Well this hosting provider will give me ssh/ssl access, but I need to give a sample of blood and promise my first born male to them. Last night that was the last bit of effort I wanted to go through. Now with a nights sleep, I broke down. Permission changing issues no more. Would like to still understand why application will not behave. 

jenkinhill

Sounds like you need to move to a real host!
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

caisebas

I had this exact smae problem. The menu takes up the whole page. CMODDING all files in directory 'com_virtuemart' didn't solve the problem. It made it worse cause all images are now gone.

What to do?

jenkinhill

Both front end and administrator com_virtuemart files?

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

caisebas

I have cmodded the directory 'com_virtuemart' in '%joomlaroot%/components' and '%joomlaroot%/administrator/components' to 777.

Is this okay?

jenkinhill

The files should be 644, directories 755 - that is what I use on my servers.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Preston Moore

Nope.  Very Frustrating.

I went through each and every directory - directories 755 and files 644.

Still get the FUBAR backend (see pic)

[attachment cleanup by admin]
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your code, but you can't pick your friend's code.

Preston Moore

Thanks Peter.

Front end admin seems ok, but when I try to go to extended view, I get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class vmLanguage in /home/.****/*****/*****/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/languages/english.php on line 2198

I also get this when trying to add a product to my cart on the flypage. 

edit:

I should add that in my english.php on line 2198 it looks like this:

Quote}
class phpShopLanguage extends vmLanguage { }

/** @global vmLanguage $VM_LANG */
$VM_LANG =& new vmLanguage();
?>
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your code, but you can't pick your friend's code.