Author Topic: Add to mailing list when they buy a particular product  (Read 2474 times)

Garry

• Beginner
Add to mailing list when they buy a particular product
« on: May 30, 2007, 21:55:09 pm »
Hi, I could do with some advice as I'm trying my first hack on virtuemart.

What I am trying to do is this:

When someone buys a particular product, I want them to be added to a particular mailing list I have set up in Acajoom Plus.

The idea is that they buy a first installment (pdf download) and the next three installments are received at set intervals via email (which acajoom can do, i just need a way to add them to the list).

If there is already a way to do this I would love to know!

Anyway, I'm fairly competent with PHP, just not with Virtuemart so any pointers on how I should tackle this would be gratefully appreciated. I will of course share any code I get to work.

I'm also on a bit of a tight deadline with this so any guidance to help speed things up would be really helpful.

Thanks

Lain_

Re: Add to mailing list when they buy a particular
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:31:50 am »
While not the easiest application to use, I think you could create a "join" function using a component called Fabrik. Its a super powerful Joomla component, while very poorly documented it has a great feature that will allow you to create database joins and functions that could allow this to happen.

I am still working some bugs out of a feature that will allow a person to ask a question about a product in the shopping cart are, and then take them  to the appropriate section of my support forums (fireboard component)

The Fabrik component is awsome, but dont expect very good support for bugs and the user manual is virtually worthless, so save your money as they sell it along with 1-year of support. You should be well versed in Java if you really wish to use it to its full potential.

Currently I have it set to add a person to my mailing list when they use my custom "contact us" form.. also made with Fabrik.
...........Of all the places I have ever been, Earth has the best popcorn.

Garry

• Beginner
Re: Add to mailing list when they buy a particular product
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:44:49 am »
hmmm I'll check Fabrik out. Java, however, isn't my strong point but I may be able to cobble something together.

I was also thinking of doing it via a php cron job. As the first pdf is sold as a download, all I would need to do is run a check for anyone who has bought the product and then add their email to the mailing list if they aren't already on it.

It's not the most flexible option as is a little too 'hard coded' for my liking but it may do the job for now while I work on something a little more robust.