Author Topic: Searching in multiple languages  (Read 66773 times)

Forsh

• Donate Car Denver
Searching in multiple languages
« on: September 19, 2006, 13:55:04 pm »
I have an Virtuemart installed in "English" and am translating content into "Japanese".

However...I just tested a search....typing "English" works fine...

The "Japanese" search yeilds no search results. Does anyone have any type of hack/tweak/alteration to fix this issue? Multilingual Virtuemart is nice, but so very limited if search functions in different languages won't work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.denverdonate.com
Donate a vehicle to charity, donate my car online, how to donate a vehicle to charity, donate car denver, donate car colorado, where to donate my car online, how to

donate my car to charity, donating a car to charity, online charity Denver, donating in Denver, charity programs in Denver

sprogo

• Beginner
Re: Searching in multiple languages
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 13:15:46 pm »
Hello Forsh,

I am stuck at the same point you asked.  I suppose a lot of vm users would thanks to you if you share your solution with us.

Thanks
Sprogo

Forsh

• Donate Car Denver
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 13:20:18 pm »
Oh, you may have misunderstood me... :)

I am not able to search in "japanese", only English.

I am looking for a solution also. Having Joomfish with Virtuemart is great, but if customers can not search in their own language it's a moot point unless you only let them browse.
Donate a vehicle to charity, donate my car online, how to donate a vehicle to charity, donate car denver, donate car colorado, where to donate my car online, how to

donate my car to charity, donating a car to charity, online charity Denver, donating in Denver, charity programs in Denver

sprogo

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 14:58:46 pm »

Ooppss sorry, I thought you would have more chance than me finding a solution as a month passed since then.

Anyway, if anybody find a way let us share it here.

Thanjs

Forsh

• Donate Car Denver
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 08:19:44 am »
I do run Virtuemart 1.0.5, is this something that may have been fixed in the newer 1.0.7?

If someone using 1.0.7 can, see if you are able to add 出張撮影 to your store and then conduct a search through VM and see if it shows results.....

confusedxx

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 21:07:43 pm »
Not sure myself but also looking for an answer.  Anyone know if this is a recognized bug in the product or if there is a fix?

Yves

• Beginner
    • Aude Line - Solutions Informatique
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 14:38:30 pm »
I use Vm 1.07 and Joomfish and the problem is the same.
I dont think it's a bug. I blelieve that VM search module doesn't matter Joomfish translations.
I need this feature because my site is multilingual so i m working on a solution but it seems to be a complex thing to do.
I will post my result later.

confusedxx

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 16:05:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply Yves.

Good luck with finding a solution.  I have recently started looking at OsCommerce and they do not have that problem.  I have been testing a few sites and multilingual searches work fine.

Type Hund in German when surfing the site in German and the right products pop up.
Type Dog in English when surfing the site in English and the same products pop up - but in English now. 

Never do you get no products found  ;D

Yves

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 16:34:46 pm »
I used OsCommerce one year before but i stopped.
It was very difficult to make some changes because to many part were developped in different ways and there was no real core functions everybody used.
When I looked at Joomla, it was a very different thing, and it's easier to make some hack and improvement to fit my customers wishes.
However, VM line codes are a bit more difficult to handle (sorry Soeren :) ) because VM php programs are very long and contains many conditionnal statement.
But in any case, i will never come back to OScommerce.

confusedxx

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 17:10:45 pm »
ah good to know.  I will keep that in mind.  Hopefully soon you can figure a way of fixing the multi-language bug and then Virtumart will be the way to go.  I just wish I could do hacks and understand code LOL

Yves

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 14:52:38 pm »
I made this hack to VM.

It allows search in any language, i.e whatever the language selected, it searchs in ALL languages (if the translation is published).
First, i tried to make a search only in the selected language but it's very complex due to the default language feature (which is a significant difference with OScommerce).
But, on second thought, it appeared a good idea to allows customers to find products without take care of language.

It works with module 'mod_virtuemart_search.php' or 'mod_virtuemart.php' and also component page 'shop.search'
I modified a VM page so if you install a new version of VM, all changes will be lost.

There must remains some bugs, so if you can test it and feed back, it wil help me.

This file is \administrator\components\com_virtuemart\html\shop_browse_queries.php

@++

[attachment cleanup by admin]

confusedxx

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 15:47:56 pm »
I will install it this weekend and start working on it.  I will give you feedback during the next week and see how it runs.

Thanks for the info and i am glad to help.

Cheers

joooomla

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 22:29:30 pm »
Hi!
I've tested the shop_browse_queries.php Hack from Yves.
On my lokal Server it run's very well.
PHP Version 5.0.5
MySQL 4.1.11

But unfortunately not on the target server:
PHP Version 4.4.4
MySQL 4.0.27

Is there another Version? Or perhaps another solution to the problem of Searching in multiple languages?

Thanks a lot!

Yves

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 12:54:09 pm »
The problem comes from your Mysql server version which can not handle the new query : it includes a nested SELECT sub-query instruction which is not support by Mysql 4.0.

If you can upgrade it to a newer version, it will be ok.
Some hostings (as 1&1) let you choose your Mysql version.
Solutions to avoid that problem are too complex and the best is to change your mysql server.

joooomla

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 19:17:05 pm »
Hi Yves!
Thank's a lot! It runs very well!