Author Topic: [MAJOR MOD] Drop Ship / Shipping Groups - Multiple ship methods in single order.  (Read 14574 times)

thomas_freeman

• Contributing Developer
    • Kustom Services
This is not an easy mod to insall. :)

I have modified many different files.  I will attempt to create a list of files and get a zip posted where you can apply it to a site if you wish.  In the meantime it can be downloaded from here:
http://www.kustomservices.com/download/VirtuemartKCSBase1.0.9.zip

This allows you to go to the shipping menu and create shipping groups.  Each shipping group can have multiple shipping methods and a ship from zip.  This will then allow you to create a "drop-ship" situation.  Each product can then be setup to only use a specific shipping group.  When a person checks out, it will group all of the products into a shipping group and allow the customer to select the appropriate shipping option for that shipping group.

Everything seems to be working. You can see a sample at http://clients.kustomservices.com/testing

If you want to apply this to your own site, it will be difficult at this point.  The zip file above includes several other mods (like tax by zip, tax exempt, froogle feed, child list mod, etc.)

I'll try to get a better installation method soon.

Let me know if you like this.  I have about 120 hours of work into it.  If you like it I would be glad to help you use it and would greatly appreciate donations!

Enjoy.

Andrew Pitt

• Beginner
Re: [MAJOR MOD] Shipping Groups to allow multiple
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 21:51:24 pm »
Hi Thomas

I would really like to try out your mod as it seems it would fit perfectly with what I am trying to achieve, I did try copying the entire file set onto the server although when I went to the group shipment section in the administration page I received php errors, the errors were displayed at the bottom of the page something to do with the insert query's and also an incorrect variable type in an array.  I have since put my old file set back as I was totally at a loss of how to fix it.  I would still like to try out the group shipment if you could find time to tell me exactly what files are required etc..

Thanks

thomas_freeman

• Contributing Developer
    • Kustom Services
I have updated the code in several places.  Not all shipping modules are updated to work with this.  They will need to be modified as necessary.  I neglected to mention that there are structural changes to the sql db.  I have included a sql.txt file in the zip.  It shows what changes are necessary.

Please feel free to download the zip again as it has been updated at this time.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

thomas_freeman

• Contributing Developer
    • Kustom Services
Re: [MAJOR MOD] Drop Ship / Shipping Groups
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 14:37:45 pm »
I have updated the base code again.  We currently have it installed and working on 3 sites.  Key Features:
  • Specify a shipping method for each product.
  • Allow multiple shipping methods on one order.
  • Have shipping calculated from different locations (ie. Drop Ship)!
  • Best Practice SEO ready.

The base code has several hacks or modifications already installed and ready to go.

Virtuemart Custom Base 1.0.9

Hacks Applied:

-Shipping Groups
   -Taxes by Zip
   -Custom Atributes
   -Child Products List
   -Froogle Feed Exporter
   -Improved CSV Import/Export

Shipping Methods Added:
   -FedEX LTL
   -UPS - modded for shipping groups
   -Standard Shipping - modded for shipping groups

Templates Edited:
   -basket_ship_b2c.html.php
   -basket_totals_b2c.html.php - Added
   -ro_basket_ship_b2c.html.php
   -ro_basket_totals_b2c.html.php - Added

Functions Added:
   -shippingGroupAdd

Other Misc Modifications:
   -SEO modifications to:
      -Add keywords to each product
      -Add keywords to each category
      -Add meta description to each category.  For search landing pages.
      -Add product and category keywords to page Meta data
      -Modified joomla.php to append keywords to the beginning of the meta data instead of at the end.
      -Modified joomla.php to append category to the beginning of the page title instead of at the end.

It does not include any .ini or .cfg.php files.  This means that you should install virtuemart as normal , apply the SQL changes to your database and then copy these files over top of your installation.

Please let me know if you need help with any of this work.

dant

• Women's apparel & accessories
Have you discussed getting these mods into the next version of VM?  If so, what is the status?  I think these are all good ideas, but create a maintenance nightmare if they're not applied as part of a normal distribution.

dan

thomas_freeman

• Contributing Developer
    • Kustom Services
I have thought about it.  However, I'm not sure exactly how it would happen. 

It requires modification to quite a bit of the checkout system.  I have modified the buisness2customer templates but not the buisness2business.  Not all of the shipping methods have been updated (but can be updated easily if I ever find time).  I have made the tax system work ideally for US but I believe it would work for VAT as well.

I don't have a clue how to work with the SVN.  I have fears that my efforts to integrate it into the base system would result in stopping progress on the development to fix something I did. :( 

At this point, since this is installed on client systems, I am committed to keeping it updated as new VM releases come out.  I use WinMerge and I keep an eye on the new features being developed.  My current concern is how the new template system may effect the carts.  I feel pretty certain that I will be able to update it.  Currently I am at 1.0.9. 

I need to update it at this time.

I welcome anyone massaging this enough to work in the core.  I believe it would help many current projects underway, like the multiple vendors (shopping mall type systems) etc.

Andrew Pitt

• Beginner
Re: [MAJOR MOD] Shipping Groups to allow multiple
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 22:28:04 pm »
Thomas,

I would just like to say thankyou for helping me intergrate this mod into my site, I have been looking for something just like this for quite some time.  I have not yet gone live with my cart although hope to as soon as possible, although from testing which I have done everything seems to be working exactly as I expected if not better with the inclusion of the SEO mods.

Cheers 

bob803

• Beginner
Re: [MAJOR MOD] Drop Ship / Shipping Groups - Mult
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 01:14:52 am »
This is one I really need, thank you, I will try to sort over the code and see if I can get it working.

meadwench

• Beginner
  • I feel the need....the need...for mead!
So, if I understand correctly, this is a modified version of VM? I thought about installing it, but I already *have* VM installed and tweaked. I was hoping to add this, but replacing my current install would add close to 50 hours of work in re-customizing this version to meet my clients needs.....

Is there a way to apply this to an existing install?
Thanks!

Vicky Rowe
Gotmead.com
The best source of mead-making information in the world
Satori Digital Marketing - Small business website and e-commerce design

thomas_freeman

• Contributing Developer
    • Kustom Services
You understand correctly.  I realize that this is a problem for many.  I needed this put together as a base to install on my clients sites with everything that I used on a regular basis.  Since it was what I had, I decided to just make it available to others as well.

I have it working on several sites but it is heavily integrated.  You could use a file compare routine to find the differences and then just make those to your site where necessary.  I'm providing the files simply for those who are looking for these capabilities and have the ability and desire to work with this.  (I would have loved to have it when I was just getting into this.)

I keep hoping to come back to it and weed it down to just the files that need to be included for this.  Reality is that I just don't find the time to do this (not a priority to me).

Sorry.  I have helped folks customize this solution just for their sites for a minimal fee.  If it is something you really need, let me know and I'll try to find some time to help you with it.

meadwench

• Beginner
  • I feel the need....the need...for mead!
Thanks for the quick reply. I will consider it for my next project, but the current one is just too far along to go back to the beginning.....
Thanks!

Vicky Rowe
Gotmead.com
The best source of mead-making information in the world
Satori Digital Marketing - Small business website and e-commerce design

Justin Holstein

• Beginner
  • Find out who you are...its the reason your here.
Thomas...Wondering which version of virtuemart you successfuly applied this hack to?  I made the database changes, and uploaded your revised files to Virtuemart 1.0.14 and after fixing some 'string' and 'unexpected character' errors in the english.php file, it seem to be working (all of your added options were visible and accessible).  But when I went to the csv export page on the backend, it had a few mis-alignments and gave an error in the components/virtuemart_parser.php file of an error of (going off of memory here)  undefined call with "vmisadmin()" and I think it was around 266 if I'm remembering right.  Not sure if there were any other errors beings that I had to revert the site back to before the hack install to get it fully functioning.

Also, there were a few errors on the sql commands to update the database in the "   CREATE TABLE `jos_vm_shipping_group`   "...there was a ';' instead of a ',' after one of the lines that created an sql error.....and on the "   CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `jos_vm_shipping_group_product_xref   " (' table,  there was a missing KEY of "   `id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',  "

I'm assuming there have been some file changes from the version you hacked to version 1.0.14 that need updated to work.  Here is the fixed language file that corrected the 'string' and 'unexpected character' errors attached for you or anyone trying to get this working on version 1.0.14.  I agree that this is something that would be useful to integrate into new versions of Virtuemart.  In the new age of globalization, mass communication and internet sales...drop shipping from multiple locations is becoming quite common.  Kudos to you for pioneering this addition Thomas.  Also, still interested in some freelancing from you on this project to give this ability to the recent version of virtuemart if you have the time.  thanks!

[attachment cleanup by admin]

gonzapa

• Beginner
I tried to install your module in Joomla 1.5  VM 1.1.1 and I got many errors like this one:

Warning: zip_entry_read() [function.zip-entry-read]: The bytes parameter must greater then zero in /home/deepw1/public_html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/archive/zip.php on line 239

Im new to the joomla game  and Any help would be appreciated.

godslayer

• Beginner
This is a great project and I think the features are essential!!! Anyone can put it into work with Virtuemart 1.1.2? That would be great!!! Thanks in advance!!!