News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Down with OCC? (Offline Credit Card)

Started by deneb, January 29, 2006, 05:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winfreepcs

It's my understanding that there's no built-in Offline CC in Virtuemart, hence the plug-in/hacking.

I don't think Virtuemart really wants to help merchants using VM to break their merchant account policy.

So to do OCC basically is to do it at your own risk.

JSG

deneb

Quote from: winfreepcs on March 28, 2006, 20:07:23 PM
I've upgraded to Joomla 1.0.8 and VM 1.0.4.

And I've followed the instruction to the T.

When I finish and save. I would go back to activate it and the fonts got bigger. Not only that, but the bottom half where I get to select credit card is gone.

So can you check to see if your plug in still works? Or shall this be reported as a bug?

Thanks,
JSG

Not a bug with OCC. The problems you are experiencing are not a result of this OCC payment method.

deneb

Quote from: winfreepcs on March 29, 2006, 17:37:50 PM
It's my understanding that there's no built-in Offline CC in Virtuemart, hence the plug-in/hacking.

I don't think Virtuemart really wants to help merchants using VM to break their merchant account policy.

So to do OCC basically is to do it at your own risk.

JSG

QuoteIt's my understanding that there's no built-in Offline CC in Virtuemart, hence the plug-in/hacking.
Yes!
Pure speculation on your part! Again, this OCC payment method does nothing to break the rules.

QuoteSo to do OCC basically is to do it at your own risk.
CC processing always carries a risk of fraud or info theft when accepting credit cards, whether it is off-line or live. Live transactions are no safer than off-line and visa-versa.

deneb

Quote from: surfychik on March 29, 2006, 11:33:41 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb post, but is there a problem with the built in offline processing option that comes with virtuemart? Seems to me that complete credit card numbers are secure as parts are stored in order and parts in email to system admin?
I was overjoyed to find this feature in virtuemart (as would a lot of non-profit sites who can't afford payment processors). So whats the need for vm_payment_method_OCC_v1.0.1.zip ?

thanks folks - what a great product and community!!!

lesley

Quotebut is there a problem with the built in offline processing option that comes with virtuemart?
offline processing does not cone in VirtueMart

use my OCC payment method to accomplish that end. this is a custom hack not built into VM

winfreepcs

Pure speculation on your part! Again, this OCC payment method does nothing to break the rules.

I think you're misunderstanding me so please do not get so defensive. I'm not insuation that OCC breaks the rule.

I'm guessing that by NOT including Offline Credit Card processing it keeps VM and those that use VM out of trouble. Your OCC is an option for those that CHOSE to do offline cc processing whereas merchant account processors prefer online credti card processing.

Chill, dude. I am using your hacked plugin as it is what I was looking for.

Thanks,
JSG

deneb

QuoteI'm guessing that by NOT including Offline Credit Card processing it keeps VM and those that use VM out of trouble.

I'm chill.. just want to set the record straight. No, it is just a time/ demand thing with developing an offline cc method. You are reading too much into this.

How is offline going to get you into trouble as opposed to on-line?
If you are collecting CVV2 codes, VM stores them in DB regardless of transaction mode or even the cc payment method used.

My OCC payment method does not handle the collecting/validating or storing of cc data, at all.

This is evident in the fact that if you want to turn off (or modify the functionality of) DB storage of cc data (including CVV2 #s)...you have to modify other stock VM files.

Have fun!
8)

Xemnosyst

Quote from: deneb on February 02, 2006, 06:50:24 AM
but I suggest that when you are viewing the order list, force that page into secure mode before going further. Then view the order page or the order print view pop-up with the unmasked digits. ;)

I see how to unmask the digits, but how do I ensure that the order print page is only ever viewed securely?

Xemnosyst

Quote from: Xemnosyst on March 30, 2006, 19:52:27 PM
I see how to unmask the digits, but how do I ensure that the order print page is only ever viewed securely?

Ha!  I just answered my own question!  Here's my solution:

In the file administrator\components\com_virtuemart\html\order.order_print.php I changed the lines

echo ps_checkout::asterisk_pad( $dbaccount->f("account_number"), 4, true );
             if( $dbaccount->f('order_payment_code')) {
               echo '<br/>(CVV Code: '.$dbaccount->f('order_payment_code').') ';
             }

to

if( @$_SERVER['HTTPS'] == 'on' ) {
             echo $dbaccount->f("account_number");
             }
           }
           else {
              echo ps_checkout::asterisk_pad( $dbaccount->f("account_number"), 4, false );
           }

simbo1905

Quote from: deneb on March 29, 2006, 18:25:59 PM
CC processing always carries a risk of fraud or info theft when accepting credit cards, whether it is off-line or live. Live transactions are no safer than off-line and visa-versa.

i dont store the card number at all nor the cvv security code. i do an online payment transaction authorize.net. so "online is no safter than offline" is not true for me. i am no safer from being ripped off with a stolen card number (except i have set my payment gateway to only approve orders when the billing address really does match the card holder address) but my customers are a lot safer from my making a mistake or my hosters messing up (or an employee being a criminal) as i have only billing addresses to steal but no card data.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/15/who_pays_for_security_breaches/

winfreepcs

Quote from: Xemnosyst on March 30, 2006, 20:09:45 PM
Quote from: Xemnosyst on March 30, 2006, 19:52:27 PM

Ha!  I just answered my own question!  Here's my solution:

In the file administrator\components\com_virtuemart\html\order.order_print.php I changed the lines

echo ps_checkout::asterisk_pad( $dbaccount->f("account_number"), 4, true );
             }

to

if( @$_SERVER['HTTPS'] == 'on' ) {
             echo $dbaccount->f("account_number");
             }
           }
           else {
              echo ps_checkout::asterisk_pad( $dbaccount->f("account_number"), 4, false );
           }

I tried and didn't work. How do I get https:// in admin?

JSG

simbo1905

mhpcs

Quote from: deneb on February 22, 2006, 03:21:06 AM
QuoteIm wanting to take switch / Maestro cards aswell as credit cards on my site, can i just add a new credit card type and call it 'switch' or will these mathmatical checks not recognise the switch card numbers as being in a valid format?

Yes, add credit card to VM list. There is support for it. Did you try it yet? Do an order with the Switch card and see what happens. This method does not do any live connects. ;)

Hi All

Thank you for this great OCC payment module deneb it is exactly what I am looking for. I have installed it on my Joomla 1.0.8 + VM 1.0.4 site.

I do have a question/plea for help, I also need to accept Switch/Maesto cards on my site. I've added the card 'types' to the list in the admin interface and they display correctly during checkout. However here in the UK we also need to take the Start Date from the card, please could anyone help me with this one?

I spent some time last night trying to get the below 'hack' working, but I didn't have much success, perhaps this was because it was done on VM 1.0.1?
http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=71&topic=13584.0

I have been searching the forums for some time and have seen another 'hack' to do this which I may try tonight, but it was done on VM 1.0.2 so I am wondering if it will work  ???

If anyone out there would be able to help that would be great, when something goes wrong I get totally stuck (but I'm learning  ;D)

Kind Regards
Marc

deneb

You have to modify other files to collect extra cc# info, not this OCC.

Post your question in that thread you mentioned.

aaronc

Hi Mark

Did you get anywhere with this, as I need the exact same lol

Cheers
Aaron

dbds

Fantastic module thanks.

One question. I dont need the ccv check. How do I disable it?