News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Orphaned Media

Started by marvays, June 11, 2021, 04:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvays

Hello. I found a problem.
In the media manager, select the product type and check Orphaned Media. I will see 1847 pictures in the list. The problem is that there are other images among them than product images. For example, the vendor logo from the /images/virtuemart/vendor folder.

Is this okay?

VirtueMart 3.8.9 10473

Jörgen

Are you using this image in Virtuemart?
If you do not, then it is ok.

Jörgen
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

marvays

Quote from: Jörgen on June 11, 2021, 07:27:16 AM
Are you using this image in Virtuemart?
If you do not, then it is ok.

Jörgen
Yes. Vendors logo in administrator/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=user&task=editshop

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

marvays

Quote from: GJC Web Design on June 11, 2021, 09:19:13 AM
try this .. https://shop.st42.fr/en/products/virtuemart-media-folder-clear.htm

I used it here too. And then the VM reports that I have 1800 unused images. I don't know where the mistake is.

Jörgen

How many images do You have ? Only 1800, if you have more then 1800, these are probably orphaned. Only You can answer this question.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

marvays

Quote from: Jörgen on June 11, 2021, 12:24:08 PM
How many images do You have ? Only 1800, if you have more then 1800, these are probably orphaned. Only You can answer this question.

I have 13000 images.
But I don't understand how it is possible that I have orphaned images when I used a plugin from Studio42 to delete them? :)

I'm afraid to have them deleted when I see that the third image is the manufacturer's logo and has nothing to look for in the list. . . because it is not orphaned and it is not a picture of the product.

Jörgen

As said before, I can not tell if these are correctly orphaned images, but I would guess so. You are the only one that can see if they are orphaned or not. I would batch rename them and see what happens. Or backup image directory, delete and restore them if You get into trouble.

More than 9999 (files) images in one directory will often lead to trouble. You can google this and see what I mean.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

marvays

Quote from: Jörgen on June 11, 2021, 15:00:24 PM
More than 9999 (files) images in one directory will often lead to trouble.
In this case, the VM should be able to create subdirectories according to categories and insert the appropriate product images into them. Otherwise, most e-shops will have this problem.

Jörgen

Some have problems, some don´t, I got into trouble. Symptom shows differently depending on host. I could only see the first 9999 files in product directory.

I use multiupload from studio42 and create subdirectories. I have somewhat 30-40 00 images, thumnails not included. Managing these without subdirectories would not be possible.

Remember that this is not connected to VM, this is a software limitation for your server and ftp software. This hits any program that puts more than 9999 files in one directory.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

marvays

Quote from: Jörgen on June 11, 2021, 16:11:11 PM
Some have problems, some don´t, I got into trouble. Symptom shows differently depending on host. I could only see the first 9999 files in product directory.

I use multiupload from studio42 and create subdirectories. I have somewhat 30-40 00 images, thumnails not included. Managing these without subdirectories would not be possible.

Remember that this is not connected to VM, this is a software limitation for your server and ftp software. This hits any program that puts more than 9999 files in one directory.

I am considering this extension. But I'm also thinking about https://kubik-rubik.de/eir-easy-image-resizer because it can reduce dimensions, compress and save with a secure file name when uploading an image. This is the perfect combination for my secretary :)