News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Disable default Fancybox script, only in frontend

Started by EvanGR, October 21, 2020, 14:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanGR

Hello,

In short: I want to completely disable VM from loading the default fancybox script, but ONLY for the frontend.

More details...

I am using a different/custom version of fancybox, which is nicely integrated in my template.

A crude approach to prevent the default fancybox from being loaded at all, is by renaming the folder:
/components/com_virtuemart/assets/js/fancybox

However, this breaks some stuff in the VM administrator, and I want that to still keep working as it was.

Any ideas on the best way to solve this?

Thanks

And all works fine... except the backend! Which also

pinochico

Yep, we use this solution before 5 years (fancybox 3.X),

I don't remember exactly, but I think we change some core code in VM, where is old fancy is loaded (for FE)....
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

jenkinhill

The version of Fancybox included with VM is an old one. A license is required for all commercial applications using later versions, which means that it could not be included with VM, or would require a special (costly) licencing arrangement. Who would pay for that.....
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

pinochico

QuoteA license is required for all commercial applications using later versions, which means that it could not be included with VM, or would require a special (costly) licencing arrangement. Who would pay for that.....

Yes, every new VM with new fancybox 3.X must be pay license - then VM use old free version Fancybox still.

In our shops we changed and use bootstrap now.
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

EvanGR

I understand.

I am trying to find (and override in the template) the code that loads Fancybox on the front-end. If anyone knows it would save me some digging.

My thoughts below...

Regarding fancybox/facebox... VM has a tight integration with old deprecated libraries.
VM provides an option to use fancybox (1.x) OR facebox, but no option to use neither (so we can use a custom solution)!
Also, I don't mind fancybox 1.x in the VM admin panel, it does its job.

Also, to avoid the common issues of version collisions, and backwards incompatibilities... we should use versioning!
It's not "Use Fancybox", it's "Use Fancybox 1.x".
The relevant folder should be called "fancybox1", or something that makes it explicit, and allows room for future change.

Avoid ambiguities. Be certain that the future will bring change, and be ready for it.

(a similar case happened with Joomla, heavily depending on Bootstrap 2.x, calling it simply Bootstrap, and making it difficult to move on to v3 or v4 later on)