News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Best filtering module?

Started by marvays, September 30, 2020, 16:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvays

Do you know the best extension for filtering? I need a working extension, but to do good seo! For example, a nice url.  ;)

balai

Imho filtering and SEO do not go together.

The filtering application is a tool, aiming at advancing the user experience.
It is usually complex/heavy and creates a lot of pages with identical content.
Look the filtering apps (including their urls) of amazon, ebay, google, etc. They are totally crap in terms of SEO.

In short i see more problems than gains in that approach.

My suggestion is to let the search engines crawl your main product pages (categories, manufacturers).
If you are going to use a filtering extension, make sure that it uses canonical tags pointing those pages, in it's results and use no-follow for it's links.
Otherwise you will end up with a bunch of duplicate content in the search results.

marvays

Quote from: balai on October 01, 2020, 13:33:34 PM
Imho filtering and SEO do not go together.

The filtering application is a tool, aiming at advancing the user experience.
It is usually complex/heavy and creates a lot of pages with identical content.
Look the filtering apps (including their urls) of amazon, ebay, google, etc. They are totally crap in terms of SEO.

In short i see more problems than gains in that approach.

My suggestion is to let the search engines crawl your main product pages (categories, manufacturers).
If you are going to use a filtering extension, make sure that it uses canonical tags pointing those pages, in it's results and use no-follow for it's links.
Otherwise you will end up with a bunch of duplicate content in the search results.

I agree, it's hard, but not impossible :) But I need the module to help me a bit.

pinochico

Quoteagree, it's hard, but not impossible

Yes Martin, we use customfiltersPro form value, but we are hard working on override JS and template and after 120 developers hour we are lucky.

Then is the only question about money :)
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

marvays

Quote from: pinochico on October 01, 2020, 17:08:43 PM
Quoteagree, it's hard, but not impossible

Yes Martin, we use customfiltersPro form value, but we are hard working on override JS and template and after 120 developers hour we are lucky.

Then is the only question about money :)

Yes. But ideally he should invest 120 hours in breakdesign to have an seo friendly filter and raise ten dollars in price :)

pinochico

If you want, yes of course.

But I have not ideally money, only money from our client :D
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

balai

We are planning several new features in that regard.

Among others the ability to update the page title, page heading and canonical  tag by filter

marvays

balai

The version 2.14.0 of Custom Filters is released.
https://breakdesigns.net/extensions/joomla/custom-filters

Among others you can configure it, to update the page title, the page heading and set canonical tags, based on the selections in almost each filter.
This allows it to generate unique results pages, having the attributes needed to get properly indexed by the search engine crawlers.