News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

keywords in description for searchability

Started by rage76, September 16, 2020, 09:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rage76

I find that presently there is no search component / extension for virtuemart that can search in product meta keywords or meta description.

This is required for variations in spellings as well. Can anyone guide me how this can be achieved.

Also, I have found that if I add a few keywords to main product description, the product starts showing in the search. Is it advisable to do so, especially when I would like to make that text invisible by matching it's color to the background?

Studio 42

Hi,
Using the long description slowdown your search but a solution is to use a class to hide the text.
In bootstrap 4
Quote<div class="invisible">YOUR TEXT HERE<>
In old bootstrap
Quote<div class="hidden">YOUR TEXT HERE<>

If you dont use bootstrap you can use sam trick and add CSS

.hidden {
  display: none !important;
  visibility: hidden !important;
}

balai

There are search extensions for Virtuemart.
I suggest checking Custom Filters.
https://breakdesigns.net/extensions/joomla/custom-filters
Which searches also into the meta fields.

rage76

Hello Studio 42, thanks for the tip.

my site uses bootstrap 2 or 3. Not too sure about it. will it still work? Can I use "comma" for multiple keywords or do I need to use individually?
Also, how is it better than simply adding text and changing color to match the background?

As for css, how to use it for every product? I am not a coder so pardon my question.

Dear Balai, I have seen this extension by breakdesigns but I do not know how it will improve the searchability of my current search extension. The demo doesn't clear this.

Studio 42

using color background mean a blank space in your page.
Try to add in your HTML <div class="invisible">YOUR, TEXT, HERE<div> or <div class="invisible">YOUR, TEXT, HERE<div> depending your bootstrap release.
Another solution is tu use the short_desc. But i think that you need to display it ?
I think that meta keyword should be add in the config as searchable fields, because this are not anymore used by search engines, but i'm not anymore a core developer. So only the team can add it so the modification is not loosed on virtuemart updates