Joomla4 beta is out - what is the project's roadmap ?

Started by balai, June 24, 2020, 16:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balai

Is there any roadmap for the upcoming J4, compatibility?
Do note that the J4 beta is out and has a number of differences to the J3 versions.

The past experience teaches us, that early adapters will have the time to get prepared early and gain market share, while the lagers, will arrive too late and their grace time will be limited.
Seems like the sooner this process starts, the better for the project.

Any update is welcome.

StefanSTS

Please search the forum for Milbos post on that some time ago.

There are already changes made in VM for compatibility, and there is a list in the VM issue tracker for changes necessary. That list will be taken care of.

I would not count on a VM available at the J4 start, and I would not recommend installing a J 4.0.0 anyway for a shop. Wait for a mature version of J 4.
That's what Joomla 3.10 is for, keeping software on a stable system until Joomla 4 is ready to play nicely.
For the first year after J 4 and J 3.10, which are supposed to be released at the same date, I would always go for a 3.10 based shop. Be it VirtueMart or any other Joomal based shop system.

VM will be available for J4 long before J 3.10 will be going EOL, I am sure. Surely VM betas will be up shortly after J4 release.

Not speaking for the VM team here. This is my personal statement.

Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

balai

Hi Stefan. Thanks for the feedback!

Let me have a bit of different approach.

Although the early J4 versions will not be fully mature, they will create a user base and some buzz around them.
In short, the early adapters will form some reputation on the system and it's extensions, then the more mature users will follow.
The developers who get on train early on, will have a grace period to adapt their extensions, get feedback, improve them, gain reputation and market share. Those who miss that opportunity will probably run behind the train, with the all the relevant consequences.

IMHO, this would be a great opportunity for VM, to re-invent itself in a new system, under new terms. To do that it needs to have a very dynamic presence in the new version early on.

Btw If you check the competition (extensions like Hikashop), have already done steps towards that direction.

StefanSTS

I did understand your arguments in your first post already, they were clearly enough portrait.

That is why I posted my approach, my approach is less directed to catch the hype and lead VirtueMart to new heights.
My approach is directed to keep a safe and reliable VirtueMart running.

And I do not see that with Joomla 4.0.0 which I would call Beta 8.

Most of my customers stayed with Joomla 2.5 for at least a year, even longer before they switched to Joomla 3.

Sure it is nice to have a running VM for the first Joomla 4, that will probably be there for testing close to the release of J 4.

Even though that Hikashop is writing that they will be ready when Joomla 4 is. Do you think it is recommended to build a shop system on a system that is re-coded in many parts and not thoroughly tested in the wild yet.

I don't think so.

I had a VirtueMart 3.2.14.9808 already installed and running on a Joomla 4 Alpha after changing a few functions, most things worked. So I guess the path is not too long to get it compatible. All these changes are in the issue tracker, so it's documented already for almost a year.
In due time, and with the necessary safety measures in place, VM will be running on J 4. But again, I do not buy the first production car, just to have the newest modell. I wait for the first big flaws to be found and fixed and buy it when others are already urging for the next modell.

--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Gomad

Hello

I searched much and found very little about, however I think to have understood that at the present time Oct 2021 it is still not advisable to use Joomla 4 if one wants to use virtuemart.
Is it correct?

Which is the actual situation about Joomla 4 and Virtuemart?

Thank you

jenkinhill

I would not advise anyone to use Joomla 4 at the moment unless any extensions, templates etc that you may need are already updated to J4. Joomla 4.1 is already being developed.

VirtueMart test versions for J4 are available for experienced users to test.  http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=147366.0
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

balai

Thanks for sharing!
Btw. I already use J4 in a couple of sites. So far the sites are way faster and the overall experience seems much better.
Of course 3rd party extensions/templates is an issue but is improving day by day.

pinochico

QuoteI would not advise anyone to use Joomla 4 at the moment unless any extensions, templates etc that you may need are already updated to J4. Joomla 4.1 is already being developed.

Oh no :)
I have had other information for a long time - I recommend always checking it and not just believing what is written here.

We have been using Joomla4 for a long time, especially when everything is already programmed and tested (templates, extensions, applications).
Just look around and use the right information - www.joomlart.com - try it yourself :)

To balai:
Sorry, if you want roadmap, last 12 years I don't see any roadmap info from VirtueMart.
A roadmap is a plan for the future with clearly defined time milestones and specifications of individual functions.
(We know this, because we have been developing applications for 12 years, not only for Joomla or VirtueMart, but also for Readmine - this is the application that VirtueMart uses - and we have about 30 developers in the team).

Unfortunately
or here - http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=147366.0
nor here - https://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/repository
there is no roadmap.

There is only information about what has been done in the past.

Hence the chaos and uncertainty. I feel with you.
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

Milbo

Pinochico, we had roadmaps. Written on dev.virtuemart.net and on the news.
But it does not work. On the roadmap is since 2 years a new FE template. But no programmer finished something which could be developed by the community. So we often wrote roadmaps, but we if there is no one actually writing it,...
What works are the future ideas for vm in the news. Because that is usually already in the pipe, means there is someone who almost finished it or someone who pays for it.

So and I wonder, that this topic is neglected. It would be good to have some more tests.
https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=147366.0
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

"Hence the chaos and uncertainty. I feel with you."

I dont understand what you mean with chaos. There is no chaos. Problems appear and we solve them, one after the other. There are feature requests, someone pays for it, we see if we add it to the core, or if should be a plugin.

Roadmap, you can wish what you want, if there are no ressource todo it, it wont be done. If you have the ressources, you can make it done.

You can join the team or requests features, here are the rules https://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Developer_guideline

Please join here https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=147366.0 and lets find the last j4 compatibility bugs.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Gomad

Hello

I too tested Joomla 4 (without virtuemart), it is really much faster, so I hope Virtuemart will follow soon :)

Thank you for all the info, looking forward next virtuemart releases :)