Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Custom field as attribute list showing in cart as number

Started by i3web, June 10, 2020, 03:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i3web

Hi

Joomla 3.9.18 and latest VM

I've added a custom field, type string, with Cart Attribute and Input both set to Yes.  Is List also set to Yes.  Default Value contains large;small;big;tall. Good :)

I add the custom field 'Size' to the product.  On the front end I can see a drop down Size menu with the product and options large, small big, tall. Good :)

I make a selection, add to cart, go to cart. Good :)

In my order in the cart, instead of my selection I see a number, Size 24.  No matter which selection I make I get the same number.  Initially the number was 18 but as I have deleted and added variations of the same custom field the number as gone up.  Maybe it's an ID of some sort.   Bad :(

Why don't I see my selection, Big Small Large or Tall in the cart?

All the docs and help pages seem to suggest I'm doing the right thing, and I should have a simple attribute list that will show the selection with the product in the cart.

Grateful for your help.
Best
John
Many thanks

pinochico

QuoteWhy don't I see my selection, Big Small Large or Tall in the cart?

It's right. You don't see customfield in cart, because this is template problem.
Please compare to the demo: http://demo.virtuemart.net/t-shirt-classic-blue-detail

www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

i3web

Hi

Sorry how do you mean it's a template problem?  I'm using the standard vmbeez3 - Default.  I checked the product you suggested but it only shows custom fields for displaying product details and it has has child variants or colours.

I'm just trying to add simple attributes that will add to and appear in the cart.  From Docs:
But we developed the whole idea further and so the customfield S has the additional parameter "is a list" with the options:
No
Yes
as adminlist
The list is defined in the "Default value" field, separated by semicolons. A customfield set to "Yes" with red;blue;green will automatically create a drop-down menu in the product view with the options red, blue, green.
Many thanks

Jörgen

This must be Your settings. Turn off as adminlist, try Yes.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

i3web

Hi Jorgen

Actually that's how I have it configured, Is a List? Yes

I've set up 4 similar custom fields and they all appear as drop-downs on the product at the front-end.  But regardless of selection the same number appears in the Cart.

http://dev01.carinibycarina.com/

Any other ideas?

http://dev01.carinibycarina.com/summer-linen-detail

Regards
John
Many thanks

pinochico

This is preview of your cart.

Ok, then when do you don't see info about your customfeild?
If you don't see, the it is template problem and you must custom developping.

That's all.

We use on our eshop customfield too. And If I want see in cart, than I must custom developping.

www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

i3web

Custom code just to show a user selected attribute in the cart?  What is the point of being able to show attributes on the product if the customer's selection isn't sent with the order?

This would suggest a big limitation on VM as a serious shopping component, which is not what I understand of VM.

Many thanks

Jörgen

I would suggest that You show Your customfield setup, this has to be in Your settings. I have never seen this behaviour.
N.B Your first custom field Color seems to work, compare settings.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

i3web

Thanks for your suggestion Jorgen,

I've attached a copy of the custom field settings.

The colours are set up as variants and child products because I want to show alternative images.  With the other attributes if I was  to make child products for every option it would be more that 20k products.  Hence attributes selected by the customer.
Many thanks

i3web

Many thanks

Jörgen

You are using multivariant check settings for each of the ramifications if inheritance somehow does not work.

You have not shown the settings for the custom fields, these do not show here.

Try a product without multivariant and see if the custom fields work there. When looking for problems you have to tear the problem apart, debugging to big a piece at a time is of no value.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

i3web

Thanks Jorgan

Screen shot of the custom fields are in the previous comment.  Attached again here.

I had already tried using the custom fields in a product without variants, i can try that again.
Many thanks

i3web

Hold on

I think I have it.  Position must be addtocart and note ontop as I had used.  Wow :) You were right Jorgen, it was a setting.  Thanks

https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=139562.0
Many thanks

Jörgen

Great, Nice to hear that You have worked it out.  :)

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Milbo

if the position is empty and you activated "is cart input" the position "addtocart" is automatically added. So you just had some bad luck
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member