News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Back end broken

Started by mothra, April 15, 2022, 12:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothra

Joomla version 3.10.8, VirtueMart version 3.8.8

I updated Joomla on 2 April and checked the front end and everything looked fine. My client adds and edits the VirtueMart products from the back end, I don't, so I didn't know there was a problem until she told me about it a few days ago. When trying to edit a product, add a new product (or anything else) when the button (Edit, New, etc.) is clicked it brings an unformatted page with menu links which I've attached a copy of. The Products link leads back to that page but the same things happens when Edit, New, etc. is clicked.

I don't know if this a bug but I didn't know where else to put this. I'm not sure that the problem happened when I updated to Joomla 3.10.8 because my client hadn't used VirtueMart in a couple of months, so it could have happened before that.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

GJC Web Design

Looks like your JS has an error and is preventing the menus etc  rendering correctly ... check the browser console for errors

I have many sites happily running or have run on this VM/J combination so there is no inherent problem with these
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

mothra

Thanks for the info. I checked the console and it says "This page is in Quirks Mode. Page layout may be impacted. For Standards Mode use "<!DOCTYPE html>"." I have no idea how to solve this or why it is happening now and hasn't happened before. Any ideas?

pinochico

First, you have to study:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Quirks_Mode_and_Standards_Mode

Second, check your code for administration VM has right code in head (inspector code - CTRL A or CTRL I)

Result send there
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

mothra

1. I understand about DOCTYPE but I have no control over the DOCTYPE of the back end of VirtueMart so I don't know what I can do about that.

When I view the page source for the bad page that comes up when I click on a product no DOCTYPE shows - there is not even a head section. The first lines of the source are:
<!--[if lt IE 9]>
      <script src="//ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.1(beta4)/IE9.js"></script>
      <style type="text/css">
         .virtuemart-admin-area { display: block; }
         .virtuemart-admin-area #menu-wrapper { float: left; }
         .virtuemart-admin-area #admin-content { margin-left: 221px; }
         </script>
      <![endif]-->

All of the other pages in the VM back end show the correct DOCTYPE.

2. When I check the administration code by using CTRL I, the only things of note there are:
   a. Render Mode: Standards compliance mode
   b. X-UA-Compatible: IE=edge

I will say that I am not using Edge and haven't tried using it but I doubt that is relevant.

Do you think if I reinstalled VirtueMart that it would correct the problem?

jenkinhill

As GJC said this does look like a JavaScript issue. This page may help you understand the use of the Console for js issues.
https://buildwoofunnels.com/docs/checkout-pages/troubleshooting-tips/diagnose-issue-console/

A reinstall of VM may resolve this. Test on a copy of the live site, just install the full VM package over your existing installation.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

mothra

I have discovered and fixed the problem. A few months ago I changed the PHP version to 8.0, reviewed the front end, and it was fine so I thought that everything was working. My client apparently has not been working on the back end since then and I didn't think to test it so when she tried to use it a several days ago and had the issue I didn't immediately think of it. At any rate, I have changed the PHP to 7.4 and the back-end is working again.

pinochico

Vm is not compatible full with PHP8
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

Milbo

We found the "last" problem. https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=147821.0
and as he said, it worked in FE, he did not notice.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

pinochico

thanks Max, is perfect,

I will to try self