News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

how to blend out unnecessary fields at registration/check out?

Started by Stefan Korth, April 10, 2020, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan Korth

Hi,

when registrating or checking out, the system asks for unnecessary informations, 5 additional fields that make no sense and just mess up the form.
For user registration, user name should be email address automatically, but most users check out as guest, and I want the page to look clean.

Did I miss a page where the form can be altered? Do I need an override? I found an instruction to change the user registy with the plugin user - registration, but that plugin is not even activated, altering it makes no change.

help...?

AH

Just remove the fields you do not want in the configuration

http://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/configuration-menu/shopper-fields.html

ps. Just a polite warning - do not bump your post in the future by "moaning" that no help, no users etc. in an attempt to get a response when you clearly could do more of your own research!
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jenkinhill

The first 4 entries you don't want are, or course, required by Joomla if you want your shoppers to register.
For email to be used as Joomla user name you could try https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/email-as-username/

If you set the store to not require registration then deselect" On checkout, ask for registration"  and  "Only registered users can checkout"  on VM Configuration/Checkout.
You may need to use template override for the layout, depending on the template you are using.

The Mobile phone field can be deselected in the Shopper Field List editor.

I won't send you my $1000 invoice as you could quite easily have found the answers in this forum of in the documentation............
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Stefan Korth

thanks. (I have seen that entry but nothing happened, so my joomla install seems gentleed up). now, with help of the documentation it now worked well.

So how should I preceed when I want cutomers to be able to register still, because that is needed in order to write reviews? 

and I was moaning not to get attention but because I was suddenly aware that similar questions were asked like 10 years ago, and how few people are here. I am thankful for everyone, but I remember how crowded it was, it is the contrast that strikes.

Stefan Korth

I installed tht email thingie and figured out how to deactivate the fields. Turns out if I remove those, I cannot set up a user anymore, only check out as guest. That is not what me want. Me want have email as user name.

So then I installed email as user name plugin. activated it. Nothing. When I remove those name and user name fields, I get error messages for not entering a name.

I then installed a plugin called "bit contact form" to modify the custom fields. I set up a name (guest) as default, and it was supposed to hide the custom field or at least make entering a name obsolete, but no, nothing.

The tool comes with a manual which i did read.

Also, Is there a way to prohibit user creation unless done at check-out? It reduces spam registering...

To those shouting RTFM, I had to install two plugins so far, and it is still not running. Still, I cannot set up a user. So what am I missing? this is definitely nothing that's supposed to be done, though I have no clue why we ask for a name 3 times, plus an email.

oh and while we are at it, why the heck do I have to enter the password phrase twice? Joomla sends a confirmation email to activate the account anyway, and sends - wait for it - the email and user name too. So if I misspelled it, and cannot enter, I still have the email telling me what pw I chose. Is anybody making notes here?

This is essential. This should all be done out of the box. You cannot trash numberless and sense less customer fields on customers who we want to register and interact (buy stuff) from us. Yes, somehow it can be tweaked, but as it has been a question for ten years and longer, one wonders why, on earth, why does it take two plugins and a genious mind- which i obviously lack- to get rid of those extra fields that simply make no sense, and clutter my screen.

Seriously, when I was looking for a joomla/vm alternative, because certainly I would never start a new shop using the current VM, the check out process was what I was looking at. How smooth does it work, how many fields do I have to fill out. Is it looking nice, or terribly clustered?

If you decide on a tool by the looks, I know, you chuckle, but hey that was what got me to joomla 14 years ago. Now, look at all the other platforms, and yes, VM might be powerful, but we cannot afford to lose customers because for some evolutionary reason they have to enter their name, email, and user name over and over again.
Why can VM use the email address from user registration, but has to set up it's own Name fields? Makes really no sense. And it is stuff like this, plus the "RTFM" fraction here that makes me hate myself for chosing VM every time I run into issues.

GJC Web Design

It is relatively easy to hide/fill the required fields and use the email as username plus restrict the registering to cart users.

see e.g. https://www.4wdpartshop.com.au or https://www.greenpack.com.au

this is all done with template over rides and some JS .. you can see the JS I use in the page source - + the www.richeyweb.com email auth plugin.
I have posted on here at least twice examples of manipulating the reg fields etc

the restrict is a simple override that checks the cart contents first.

Everyone has different requirements for reg workflow ..  VM provides the basics and its up to the "web designer" to fine tune how it all fits together... 

Both Rupostel and VPs OPC extensions provide all the above as well
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

pinochico

GJC Web Design:

QuoteVM provides the basics and its up to the "web designer" to fine tune how it all fits together... 

You are right, thanks 8)
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products