Can not upload product images after 3.6.11.10245 update

Started by lostmail, March 22, 2020, 18:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostmail

After update I can not upload product images.
I select an image for upload and click safe and the product image page returns but no image uploaded or visible.
the image is upladed - i can see it in the upper field where you can search for images in the image path.

Default "no image" hast now strange dimensions too in frontend and backend ?

Normally I upload a new image and click save. After that I see the resized image (thumbnail) and the big image.
this is not the case  anymore now...;-(

UPDATE:

I now have to make 2 Steps:
1.) upload the image and save
2.) search for images, select it and save the product.

Very uncomfortable now this 2-step image upload...why that ??

UPDATE 2:

I seems that only the first image has to be uploaded this 2-step way.
Additional images can be uploaded only with upload - they are than correct visible.

It seems to be a problem with the first image upload of a product.
Joomla 3.x | VirtueMart 4.0.12 107771 | HORME3 PRO 1.9.6 / 2.0
VirtueMart 4.2.4 | Joomla 4.4.1 | PHP 8.1 | Vp_neoteric 1.3

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lostmail

Ji Jenkinhill,

glad to see you  ;-)

Installed the update and tried upload but it still does not work with the first image...

jenkinhill

Hmm, I'm using the latest test version, VM 3.6.11 10291 and there is no issue with first product image upload.

You are the only one to report this, but there are not a large number of users testing the beta versions. I assume you have checked the console for errors and have no plugins likely to cause problems?
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lostmail

I check the "media" listing and find the not uploaded images with strange information here.

It seems there is something wrong with upload function that the first image of a product is not automatically saved and linked correct..?

lostmail

Don`t know if it`s right but I have in Configuration/Templates => Product Media URL : images/stories/virtuemart/product/

But the wrong uploaded and not findable images  under media show the path: images/virtuemart/product/004_05-1584946800

I think it`s something going wrong here....??

GJC Web Design

try changing Product Media URL : images/virtuemart/product/
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

lostmail

no - still the same.
When a product has no image and i upload a new one there is still only the default "no image" to see.
Changed back to previous path (as it is since first installation i guess)

QuoteMessage
File /www/htdocs/w014c4cc/xxxxx/_TEST/images/stories/virtuemart/product/004_21.jpg uploaded
Product successfully saved

The image is uploaded well but it is not visible => "no image"....??

For testing I try to upload an image for a category - it`s working well... :-\

And no - there are not additional extensions in TEST System - only VM core installation without any modifications.

lostmail

UPDATE:
It seems the file from administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php has been changed.

I uploaded the file from the official release and the upload is working well as before the update to 3.6.11.10245

This file: administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php seems to have a bug....!

lostmail

Another strange thing:
In the images tab of products the text for "Image Alt-Text" does not change when I add an image.

I do have to delete it manually or overwrite it...normally it should be the default file name as i remember.

Don`t know why/where this is coming from now...

As i told you I installed the BETA package 3.6.11.10245 and changed the file administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php against the file from
latest STABLE package as the image upload did not work.

jenkinhill

I thought this was intended. The product name is set for the image title and you can enter a correct alt entry yourself. It should not be the image filename, but should be a suitable description of what the image shows.  I don't like to see the default "No image set ", though.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

lostmail

Quote from: jenkinhill on March 25, 2020, 11:05:54 AM
I thought this was intended. The product name is set for the image title and you can enter a correct alt entry yourself. It should not be the image filename, but should be a suitable description of what the image shows.  I don't like to see the default "No image set ", though.

I made a language override for COM_VIRTUEMART_NO_IMAGE_SET with empty text in it - now this text is gone...

lostmail

OK - so please rework/rapair the upload function....
Path changing in config made no change.
First uploaded image is always not visible (only "no image available).
File from STABLE works fine - BETA not.

jjk

Quote from: lostmail on March 23, 2020, 19:43:24 PM
Don`t know if it`s right but I have in Configuration/Templates => Product Media URL : images/stories/virtuemart/product/

But the wrong uploaded and not findable images  under media show the path: images/virtuemart/product/004_05-1584946800
I think it`s something going wrong here....??

I guess part of the problem is related to the product image path in the VM configuration. Some time ago the /stories had been eliminated and newer version of VM use the path images/virtuemart/product/ for storing product images. Maybe this would help a little bit, too: https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=137514.0

I did set up a new VM shop with version number 10289 a few days ago and had no problem with the images. However, I can confirm that the 'Displayed image subtitle' and 'Image Alt-Text' fields are not automatically filled with the image file name anymore, which probably is a bug. I usually ftp my images and then synchronize them with the button in the VM Tools. In this case the 'Displayed image subtitle' and 'Image Alt-Text' fields are still filled with the file name automatically (which I have to change afterwards).
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

AH

Hi

Regarding alt-text (file_meta in the media table)

Uploading in media handler uses a "no-image-set" which can then be deleted or overwritten manually.

I use the image handling from the product images tab  -  upload file browse button (with none selected as radio)  -
- This function works and is the quickest option (for me at present)
- No alt-text is auto set (file_meta) using this method  - It has never been set and should not be set now
- Alt-data should be created manually to describe the image before saving - but note: that this will be used whenever the image is displayed - This is significant when the image is displayed on multiple products

Display-
For displaying images for products on a category page VM uses displayMediaThumb -

This will use the first none empty entry when "filling" the $file_alt - in this sequence.

1. file_meta
2. file_description
3. file_name
4. empty

As I have empty file_meta and file_description and I use a single image on multiple items I get the filename as a file_meta (alt-text) - when the category display is shown (Not ideal)

Product override
However at a single product level I override this behaviour and use the product name

if (empty ($this->product->images[0]->file_meta)) {
$this->product->images[0]->file_meta  = $this->product->product_name;
}

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0