News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Manage custom product parameters

Started by sandomatyas, February 05, 2020, 07:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandomatyas

There is a site where are products which have custom parameters which are not in the core.
Many of them are mandatory (like color, material, capacity, energy efficiency rating) etc and some of them are optional. But there should be only one instance of these parameters.
I created custom fields for these but now I have >30 custom fields and quite hard to manage them. For example I can add multiple instances of these fields. The product can't have multiple energy efficiency ratings :) also the layout doesn't help the editor. Short input fields, the ordering is based which oder I assigned them to the product, etc. I can manage it but the site admins don't have many experience with VM so for them this is quite hard.
I was thinking what should be an easy solution for that without a big rewriting the code. I think a new customfield variable should do the job: I could set if the custom field is 'product parameter' or not. There there could be a new tab on the product edit page for these fields where users could set the value quite similar how "product dimensions and weight" tab works. Or maybe this tab could be the right place as "product dimensions, weight and parameters"
These custom fields don't show as optional fields in the "custom field type" dropdown, so you can't add multiple instances of them. It doesn't affect if it's cart attribute or not, list or not, searchable or not, etc
For me this could provide a more clear managing interface. What do you think?

Plan B: could you suggest an external component which can do the job? I use CSVI but download/re-upload a table just doesn't work for the site editor. Also tried VM BE Pro but there is no inline editor for custom fields

pinochico

www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

sandomatyas

Quote from: pinochico on February 05, 2020, 10:09:52 AM
Bad Idea

I can accept that but I couldn't find better one. Can you suggest something ppls?

GJC Web Design

with projects like this I use a product pattern ( parent) that I assign the custom fields to, arrange the order i want etc etc

Then all products that require what are essentially labels are children of this parent pattern so its just then a case of filling in the text boxes

The admin can be made a bit more user friendly with a template over ride

https://fimer.com/en/mig-mag-standard/tm500w-dv-detail
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

PRO

Its better to have a single plugin that has all these parameter inputs.