News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

VM 3.6.10 Update Fails (3.6.8 failed too?)

Started by mikidudle, December 07, 2019, 18:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikidudle

Hi,
I didn't see this problem posted anywhere else so if it is please let me know.
VM update issue running Joomla 3.9.13  VM 3.6.10 [MAYBE] but probably 3.6.6. Apache server php 7.2

The VM update from 3.6.6 to 3.6.8 failed about a month ago. It timed out.  I tried to download and install the update but it still timed out. VM indicated it was at 3.6.8 and was no longer calling for an update.
I got distracted and forgot all about it.
Today I tried to update VM to 3.6.10 and the update timed out and had a security error. I thoughtlessly closed the message and so I didn't get the details.
I am pretty confident that I'm actually running VM 3.6.6 but my system thinks I'm now at 3.6.10 and is again not calling for an update. 
I tried downloading and installing from the zip file but the update timed out again.
I have not tried to update AIO at all since 3.6.6 but it is listed at 3.6.8!
Does anyone know what could cause this or how to fix it?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

M

Jörgen

Install again, and Do not forget to install AIO when the core has been installed.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

jenkinhill

You appear to have had update issues since September.  http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=143496.msg507205#msg507205  But you don't seem to continue within those threads to try to get a resolution.

Timeout during updating often means server issues, which can generally be solved by using Akeeba to copy the live site and installing that copy on localhost.  Then update on lcalhost, test and if OK use Akeeba to copy that working version back to the server.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jjk

After failed updates it's sometimes also a good idea to clear the tmp folders of your domain root and Joomla root folders.
And perhaps increase the max_execution_time in your php.ini file a little bit.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

mikidudle

I want to thank all who replied to this thread.

I was about to post additional problems but it appears that I rec'd answers but was not notified!  I apologize.  I'm now getting an invalid update error but am pretty sure I know why now.  However, how do I uninstall and then reinstall VM without loosing the DB info?  Your input would be greatly appreciated - anticipated - and not ignored.

Gratefully,
Mike

jenkinhill

You do not uninstall VirtueMart unless absolutely essential! But if you do the database is not deleted and will be there when you reinstall. If the database is from an older VM version then you should use the "Install or if necessary update tables" tool.

This is the sort of thing that should not be done on a live site!
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

mikidudle

Thanks Jenkinhill!

FYI: I am currently running Joomla! 3.9.18. VM says it's at 3.6.8 but given the issues I've had it could actually be at 3.6.0 or 3.6.6.  The issues started between 3.6.0 and 3.6.8. There were probably changes to the DB tables in there so I'm sure I'll need the update DB tool.

I'll start looking for the Install database or update database table tool.  Any idea where that's at?  I'll start playing with it on a local server, then move it to the public server if I can get it to update.

Milbo

Maybe your inet connection is just too slow uploading the installer. Maybe put the installer in a tmp dir on your server and execute it from there. When your shop is very big, means a big db, some tasks can take longer. So you can just install it over and over again, until it solved it. But actually, that is very rare that we need that.
I anyway advice to install an installer more than one time, because sometimes files are not overwritten, because the server just readed them.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member