Old version update Virtuemart !

Started by jhautier, November 20, 2019, 15:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhautier

Hello,

I am currently using two older versions of Virtuemart and Joomla:

- Virtuemart 3.0.18
- Joomla 3.6.5

It is high time to update them and I wish I had waited, because the updates now seem complex.

I tried an update of Virtuemart (from a base copy and files) and the site encountered many problems after several attempts.

Before re-testing, I'll need your advice, including:

- Should we update Virtuemart 3.0.18 to the latest version 3.6.6?
- Do Virtuemart progressive updates (version by version or make a shift every 2 versions for example)? It seems to me that for an update of Virtuemart (3.2.2), it was absolutely necessary to upgrade Virtuemart BEFORE joomla ...?
- Should I insert a joomla update between Virtuemart updates?
- Or update latest version Virtuemart, then update latest version joomla?

In short your advice will be valuable if you have already faced this type of problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Jerome

jenkinhill

I would update Joomla direct to the current version, 3.9.13 and then use the latest full package to update VirtueMart - http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/1232/com_virtuemart.3.6.8.10197_package_or_extract.zip

Don't run the updates on your live site, use a backup and update that to see if there are issues. If you use a commercial template or a template with overrides for VirtueMart then you may need to update those as well. There are many more configuration options and settings in VM now compared with you 3 years old version, so you will need to go through those to get the site running as you wish.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jhautier

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer  :D

As I understand it, there is no need for interim updates from Virtuemart and Joomla.

So I can in order:
- Install the latest version of joomla (3.9.13)
- Install the latest version of virtuemart (3.6.8)

For Virtuemart, you have to install the latest version I imagine by downloading ZIP in a specific order ??? :

1 / com_virtuemart.3.6.8.10197.zip
2 / com_virtuemart.3.6.8.10197_ext_aio.zip
3 / vmadmin.zip
4 / com_tcpdf_1.0.8.zip

Can I then launch AIO to update the tables?

Is it this ?

Sorry, but I prefer to have confirmation on the progress of the procedure before embarking on the update ... :-)

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Jerome

jenkinhill

Quote from: jhautier on November 20, 2019, 17:58:29 PM

Sorry, but I prefer to have confirmation on the progress of the procedure before embarking on the update ... :-)

We cannot know anything else that you may have added to your site which could affect the update. That's why you should test on a copy of the site first.

When updating a very old version of J/VM I first check if the template used (if third party) is compatible with the Joomla/VM versions or if an updated version is required and is available. This avoids wasting time wondering why something does not work....  If there are third-party plugins or other extensions installed them check if these will need updating as well.

Update Joomla.   Then I would install the VM components in the sequence you say you say, but there is no need to install the vmadmin.zip, which is a development VM admin template. You would not "launch aio" but may need to use the install/update tables tool (in Tools/Tools & Migration). 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jhautier

Hello,

Thank you very much for all this advice.
I will follow this procedure on a test basis hoping that it works pretty well ... :-)

See you soon,

Regards,

Jerome