News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Does VirtueMart Store credit card information

Started by pservet, October 15, 2019, 06:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pservet

Hi Geeks,

From what I know, VirtueMart does store all user information especially those registering on the site. Question: - Does credit card information/details get stored as well? If so how do we ensure privacy and protection of users are maintained according to LAWS and regulations of each country?

Note: I was thinking the payment gateway and processor are the ones storing this information?

Pita

Jörgen

VM does not store any card information, this is up to the payment plugin, so usually no.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

AH

QuoteNote: I was thinking the payment gateway and processor are the ones storing this information?

What happens with payment information depends on your chosen payment plugin.

For example the PayPal payment standard plugin supplied with VM - redirects you to the paypal payment pages - this means that payment data is never entered onto your sites pages or stored in your sites tables

Quoteaccording to LAWS and regulations of each country

The significant rules/guidelines are those of the Payment Card Industry (PCI).

From a PCI compliance perspective - using a PSP hosted payment page is a low level of risk as far as they are concerned - as you never capture or store payment details (of course your chosen gateway has to be PCI compliant and it is up to you to ensure that it is - all of the well known PSP's are, as far as I know)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0