News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Separate product images into subfolders?

Started by EvanGR, October 03, 2019, 13:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanGR

Hello,

For a site with over 50k products, handling product image files is a pain when they are all in the same folder. The FTP client takes a minute or two just to show up the files, and it's slow in general.

That's why we need to separate product images in subfolders (per product category).

This however may create issues with thumbnails creation, since VM expects a single root for all product images.

I am also worried the functions (we use from time to time):
"Reset Thumbs"
and
"Synchronize Media to Virtuemart"

...may cause further chaos.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jörgen

I use subfolders to make my products more manageble. Products/Lensadapters, lenshoods and so on ...
I then use the multi image upload plugin from studio42. Right now it only manages one sublevel, but maybe Patrick is interested in helping out with more sublevels.

Regards
Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

GJC Web Design

"Synchronize Media to Virtuemart" still works with subfolders under product/
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Studio 42

Quote from: Jörgen on October 03, 2019, 16:17:44 PM
I use subfolders to make my products more manageble. Products/Lensadapters, lenshoods and so on ...
I then use the multi image upload plugin from studio42. Right now it only manages one sublevel, but maybe Patrick is interested in helping out with more sublevels.

Regards
Why not, but most customer only use 1 level, i had never request for more subfolders level

Jörgen

Quote from: GJC Web Design on October 03, 2019, 16:21:15 PM
"Synchronize Media to Virtuemart" still works with subfolders under product/
Yes, Max helped me with this some time ago, but uploading images is still a bitch, the multi image upload plugin makes this easy.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.