News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Category module how does it work?

Started by Kuubs, July 05, 2019, 15:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuubs

Hello,

I want to use the category module to display the category image on one of my module positions, and let that be clickable to go through to the actual VM category page.

But I don't understand how this category works. Nothing shows up when I print_r the $categories. What are the variables I can use? I don't see what variables are available.

jjk

If you want to include only a single VM category, you can achieve that, if you create a menu module in an available module position and assign a single VM category to it. Then select a category image in the menu settings > 'Link Type' tab.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Kuubs

Quote from: jjk on July 05, 2019, 23:08:34 PM
If you want to include only a single VM category, you can achieve that, if you create a menu module in an available module position and assign a single VM category to it. Then select a category image in the menu settings > 'Link Type' tab.

Hmm, is that the only option? Because I like to use the category images instead...

Studio 42

See the component/virtuemart/view/category.
You have all code to get full categories with image

Kuubs

Quote from: Studio 42 on July 09, 2019, 13:39:10 PM
See the component/virtuemart/view/category.
You have all code to get full categories with image

I have to make use of a module. So I thought about using the mod_virtuemart_category module. But that code is so weird, because every change I make it's not being showed.

Jörgen

Clear cache and make sure your host does not use cache.
Make sure you either use template overrides or copy and rename module and classes.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Kuubs

Quote from: Jörgen on July 09, 2019, 17:13:23 PM
Clear cache and make sure your host does not use cache.
Make sure you either use template overrides or copy and rename module and classes.

Yeah I did. But it's still not showing. It's like it doesnt exist. Is there any documentation regarding this module? Because even if I don't use overrides but edit the core module file it doesn't change or anything. I don't get the module at all. Why is it acting so weird?

Let me reprhase my question. Is there a possibility to add a module (doesnt have to be the category module) to show the image of the category and also directly make that image a link to the actual category page. I want it to be that the module only have to select the category to show, and that the module does the rest. I don't want to insert the image and link manually like in a custom html module. I want to use the things I set in Virtuemart itself.

Jörgen

Have You published the module ?
Have You used a proper position ?
Have You set parent category to show, one level above that You want to display?

Have You checked how it works before modifying ?

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Kuubs

Quote from: Jörgen on July 10, 2019, 12:32:47 PM
Have You published the module ?
Have You used a proper position ?
Have You set parent category to show, one level above that You want to display?

Have You checked how it works before modifying ?

Yeah I published it. Multiple posiitons, and I have all the categories publsihed and enabled.

Yeah but still it doesn't deisplay anything. It seems like it just doesn't render or execure.

EDIT: Ok I found the solution.

Now I want to show the variables that are available. Hwo can I see what variables are available?

I am using another module, this is working like absolute shite haha.