News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Product: order of custom fields (in the same template position)

Started by EvanGR, September 04, 2019, 15:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanGR

Hello,

I want to change the order of the Custom Fields in the Product page (same Layout position).

I searched in older threads and they mention drag-n-drop reordering functionality.

I see no such thing. Neither a field to set an order priority for each custom field. I am looking in VM->Products->Custom Fields page.

What am I missing?

Thanks

[VM3.6]

StefanSTS

--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

EvanGR

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

StefanSTS

Yes, for every product separately.

There is only the group mechanism at creating the custom fields for a product. So you can make a group and add many custom fields at one time to one product.

We are still waiting for that new extension coming up where you can choose if you want it separate per product or if you have a bunch of custom fields that are centrally controlled by a "parent custom field cluster".
And then another setting, if the values of the custom fields in that parent custom field cluster are separately controlled by the product or by the parent custom field cluster itself.

Would be great if an extension developer would come up with something like that.
In core I guess it makes sense to keep it simple, since many users would be confused with such a variety of possibilities. It would probably lead to unwanted changes in products. The GUI would need to be quite sofisticated to prevent unwanted changes.

Just my 2 cent.

--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Jörgen

Using a unpublished parent product with a set of predefined custom fields works. You can the modify or even hide the inherited custom fields. You can set up a couple of different parents depending on the type of product You are using. I do not know if changing the the order of custom fields in the parent changes the order in the child without saving, but adding new fields in the parent would appear in the child. Make some tests and tell us if this covers your needs.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.