News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Avoiding Duplicate Product Images

Started by Hawker, June 30, 2019, 22:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawker

I'd like for a parent product and a child product to share the same product image.

When I make a child product, I notice that it does not by default adopt the image of its parent. ...OK.

In Products>Product Images, there is a 'Used url' section. If for the Child product, I paste the URL of the image that the Parent product uses, then why when I click 'Save', does the Parent product's image not appear?

I find I am having to upload the same image twice for both parent and child products, which should be sharing the same image.

Is it possible for different products to share the same image URL so that site-wide images updates can be effected quickly?
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Studio 42

You have a search to add a new image(this can be the same as parent image).
If you have no images in the child. The parent images are used.

Hawker

Ah! That makes sense Studio 42, merci bien.
It's strange though that when I paste the Parent image URL in the Child and save, no parent image shows in the (back-end) Child product page.
I understand now that if no image shows in the Child product back-end, then by default, its Parent image will be shown.
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Jörgen

The point studio42 has is :
QuoteIf you have no images in the child. The parent images are used.

You have to leave the fields empty, Ypu will not see any images or description in back end for the child. The parent data will be used.

If You would take some time to display a child element in the front end of Your test site You will see that.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Hawker

OK. Thanks Jörgen  :D
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1