News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Custom field in several groups

Started by Rsn, June 22, 2019, 06:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rsn

Hello! I want to suggest an idea.
One product can be simultaneously in several categories.
In the same way, in my opinion, one custom field could be simultaneously in several groups of fields.
In some cases it can be very useful.
Is it possible to implement it?

StefanSTS

The grouping system for custom fields was implemented a long time ago and was not touched after that. It really only has rudimentary functions.

For most shops with just a few custom fields this works quite well. Which in turn means, it is probably on a long list of nice things to have, but the priority will be quite low since there is a lot of work going on in other areas.

If it is an important feature for you, you can always try to contact iStraxx and maybe they make a reasonable deal for you and implement it into the core. Lots of features were implemented with buying supporter memberships.
I guess for the involved work on this, it would be helpful to find a few others to sponsor something like that via memberships.

Sometimes I had ideas towards the customs too, but it's a lot of work, I guess.
A nice feature would be to have a custom field that is not saved with the product. At the moment, you can group the custom fields, but all get saved with the product. So if you want to change a group of custom fields, you have to change it in every product.
Having a switch to make it either "product dependent" or "self dependent" would be very helpful for some shops. So for the "self dependent" custom field the values would be saved to a, call it, parent custom field that could be changed once and would show changed in all products it is applied too.

For now we have to stick with what we have, I guess.

Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.