News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Simple Shipping Question

Started by Hawker, June 10, 2019, 17:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawker

I'm selling widgets which weigh 0.25 Kg each.

In setting up VM3 shipment methods, will VM3 calculate shipping by the number of widgets bought, or by the total weight of the widgets bought?

I ask this, because packaging materials add to the shipping weight, and packaging does not necessarily vary in direct proportion to the number of widgets bought.

If VM3 Shipping Methods include both number of product details and product weight limits details, which (if any) will VM3 prioritize?

Thanks in advance for your experienced help guys!  :)
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

AH

With the included shipping method - you can do either option

Weight or number of products

It will not prioritise , if you set a parameter for a shipping method - the cart must match the parameters set for that method

So 4 widgets will be 1kg

The cart will match methods with parameters set:

Method 1:
Weight - Lowest  - highest 1
Number of products - min  - max 4

MATCHED

Method 2:
Number of products - min 4 - max 4

MATCHED

Method 3:
Weight - Lowest  - highest 1

MATCHED

Method 4:
Weight - Lowest  1 - highest 2
Number of products - min 5 - max 10

NOT - MATCHED

If you do not set a parameter - that parameter is not tested
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

txkeyboards

I would recommend you to go with Advanced Shipping Rules by OpenTools (now free). Very complex rule can be done using that.

jenkinhill

Opentools extensions are no longer supported (that's why they are offered free). An updated and maintained advanced shipment plugin is available at https://alatak.net/en/extensions/virtuemart/shipments/pro-shipment-plugin.html
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AH

Why is anyone recommending any other shipping plugin  - unless the base plugin does not solve the problem

From Hawkers original question - I still think the base option can support what he needs - it will just mean he has to configure more methods.

Jenkinhill - I agree - people should not be using OpenTools extensions unless they are capable of supporting them themselves
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Hawker

Thanks AH, txkeyboards and jenkinhill for your susggestions.
If product weights are known, then calculating shipment according to the number of products seems to be the way to go. Weights, dimensions, packaging weight & dimensions and shipping costs can be calculated offline to an extent.
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1