News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtuemart bootstrap 3

Started by dml311071, May 06, 2019, 20:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dml311071

Hi guys,
Surely VM was set up to allow 3rd party front end developers to help those with intermediate skills advance and promote VM as the best free Ecommerce platform for Joomla since 2007 to progress. I cannot help but get the feeling that there is a more than a hint of arrogance in some of the answers over the last 6 to 10 years. Please understand that many people have learned XHTML holy grail   to Bootstrap 3 and 4 (coz bootstrap 2 WAS worthless) and that if VM was bootstrap compatible then it would be THE greatest addon for Joomla Ecommerce ever. And for any CMS ever.
I understand that templates are abhorrent to developers, but without the frontend that end users need, the back end is pointless.
Given this, maybe a two tier membership is required. Pay £5.00 per month for this type of support and an extra £1 per month for template help. Maybe even £10 per month for advance help and support the FE devs.
Thoughts anyone?
Regards David

Studio 42

Hi, you have now bootstrap layout for some views on last releases(test for Joomla 4 i think).
Certainly not the greatest, but you should try it

Jörgen

There may still be some bugs, check this thread first:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=142281.msg502353#msg502353

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

dml311071

Thank you both for the reply

Interesting to note that this thread has been read 182 times in the last 4 weeks! Perhaps this reflects the active users looking for the same solution by search engine.

To S42, I think that your group has made some headway in the past and recognised the lack of true bootstrap as a weakness in the otherwise excellent VM project. I hover somewhere between template builder and novice developer. Having grown up my skills using Joomla as a serious framework.

To Jörgen: yes, I agree, it is oddly misleading that VM has bootstrap 3 mode as an option but, it has only served to break my sites in the past. Even Jumbo at Virtuplanet (a vastly patient guy) has had to create templates that require legacy and a pot full of overrides.

Without starting a flame war, Joomla simply is the most giving CMS with the most to offer. A few (relatively speaking) select developers have helped grow this framework into the CMS it is today. Drupal is IMHO for pure back end developers and the other one that starts with a 'W' is a blogging solution with high school devs thrown at the 'plugin' back end. Please note, just my opinion!

If VM allowed the same construction of template access via the, now generic, Bootstrap framework it would allow frontenders to deliver so much more efficiently. it would allow better visual UX UI design using visual code editors given the far more consistent underlying HTML and CSS. Unless you have a great deal of patience and experience with VM, then this forum will be continuously bombarded with the same queries

I genuinely fear that the imminent release of Joomla 4 (say 6 months) will leave VM in an almost 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' position if this is not addressed.

Regards
David

jenkinhill

The Layout Bootstrap version provides a feature for template developers to use. Basically, it causes an alternative version to the main VM css file, vm-ltr-common.css to load, if present, by changing the requested filename to vm-bs2-common.css or vm-bs4-common.css, it also removes the calls for vm-ltr-site.css and vm-ltr-reviews.css. Currently, only a fledgeling vm-bs4-common.css is present in VM assets.

The failure to load the VM css files noted above is why a layout may break when any option other than None (use legacy) is selected in VM configuration.

Template developers can write their own BS CSS files, although I believe that a BS4 CSS file may be included in VM once Joomla 4 is released (2002?)
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum