News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Joomla 2.5.20 and VirtueMart 2.6.22

Started by fragglejack, May 13, 2019, 16:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragglejack

I have been asked to help update/migrate a friends website that is still running Joomla 2.5.20 and VirtueMart 2.6.22.  :-[

Could someone point me to a foolproof method (noob guide) to the best procedure/application/backup methods that would be required to do this, please?

I appreciate your help.

Craig.

StefanSTS

The best fool proof method I use is JMigrator from daycounts.

the only problem is, it is not fool proof. But close to that.

The manual way to update VM, then Joomla, then Joomla again, then VM then Joomla (or something close to that) is a bit long to explain, but works mostly too.

Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

jenkinhill

Yes, as Stefan says, use the migrator which is here:  https://extensions.virtuemart.net/back-office/import-export/virtuemart-migrator-detail   It works you through the update process.

Unless you are experienced with Joomla, VirtueMart and other extensions such as templates........
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

fragglejack

Thank you.

I purchased JMigrator and it 85% worked... Thanks for the help.

If I selected to have SEO friendly on when exporting/importing, is there any configuration within VirtueMart to fix the broken links? Should I have imported them without SEO and then somehow have converted them afterward?

example

/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=2079&virtuemart_category_id=11&Itemid=250&lang=en
vs
/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-users/snake-of-the-day/2861-day051819 (can't link to product any longer)

jenkinhill

I have usually turned SEF off in VM and Joomla before migration. Then turn back on when the site is fully working, menus correctly set and so on.

Google accepts that URLs change after site updates, but with SEF turned on and .htaccess updated the VM created canonical URLs will be used by Google.

"com-virtuemart-menu-users" is strange configuration!
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

GJC Web Design

Quotecom-virtuemart-menu-users

this was some bull s**t from ages ago .. if u do a search on here for that phrase you will see a number of posts concerning it...
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

jenkinhill

Crikey so there is history here dating for VM1.1! Something I had forgotten - if I ever knew it. Brain definitely fading.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK