News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Virtuemart and joomla 4

Started by Eagle21, May 10, 2019, 19:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renata

Dear all, ik have read this topic and i do not sea an solution?

I use Joomla 3 and VM 4.0.12 10777

When i look at the "Update Information Unavailable" most of the virtuemart plugins, packages, modules are not compatible with Joomla 4. this is what i get:

Extension does not offer a compatible version for the selected target version of Joomla. This could mean the extension does not use the Joomla update system or the developer has not provided compatibility information for this Joomla version yet.

As joomla 3 has ended support and php 7 is also not supported anymore, i need to  upgrade to J4 and php 8

Could you please tell when we can upgrade J4 with VM without any issues?

I hope to hear from you soon.

ps happy new year to you all!!!

Kind regards
Renata Gravendijk
Please visit my website https://responsivewebsitemaken.nl for all your graphic webdesign and Joomla websites.

jenkinhill

You can update now. The data from Joomla about compatibility issues is old, but I guess nobody has any spare time to update their system.

Just set up a test site. Check that any third-party extensions you use also work on J4.  There is no absolute need to change to J4, as J3 is supported for a long time yet, and works OK with PHP8.  Although I test with J4 I won't be using it at least until the end of this year.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Renata

Dear jenkinhill

Thanks!

Kind regards
Renata Gravendijk
Please visit my website https://responsivewebsitemaken.nl for all your graphic webdesign and Joomla websites.

balai

Quote from: jenkinhill on January 04, 2023, 13:07:29 PM
There is no absolute need to change to J4, as J3 is supported for a long time yet, and works OK with PHP8.  Although I test with J4 I won't be using it at least until the end of this year.

Really? Joomla 3 comes to end of life on 17 August 2023. No more updates after that, even for security issues.
IMHO if somebody wishes to have a functional website/shop, till the J3 EOL, should start migrating soon.
For new websites it is just a waste of time and money to build on J3.

jenkinhill

@balai   I would generally agree with that, but as is a general problem with Joomla websites, clients are generally resistant to paying their developer for regular site rebuilds. There are plenty of VM1.1.9 sites still in operation - in fact my last 1.1.9 client site was closed just last year when the owner decided it was time to close his business and retire to Portugal. I stopped developing new sites at the beginning of this year and will only advise my remaining clients about "upgrading" versions if any issues arise that version changes would solve.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

balai

@jenkinhill Customers can ask what they want. But advising someone not to update or to follow your example (not use J4 until the end of the year) is a different story.
As an old and respectful member here, your advises better be better weighted.
I would expect from someone like you to promote the use of new and well maintained software versions, than obsolete ones.

pinochico

QuoteFor new websites it is just a waste of time and money to build on J3.

Yes, If you develop only with Joomla  ;D

Im looking for new eshop on the J4 and VM4 and only upgrade all our applications for shop (not VM) will be etc. 1200 hours.
Sorry, my clients not pay this.

Then we build shop on the J3. Shop will be function, on stable PHP7.4, on stable J3.10.X, on VM4.10.X
Old shop function still on J25 (10 years) and generate big money.

This new shop will be function next 2 years definitelly.

But if you someone help me and upgrade our 10 app to J4 as free, I will create new shop on J4, sure  8)
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products