News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Serial and Parallel Ramifications + Case Study Advice

Started by Hawker, April 13, 2019, 20:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawker

At the VM3 documentation page on Customfields here:https://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/general-concepts/212-customfields.html
...under Multivariant and Generic Child Variant Customfields, Max Milbers makes reference to 'serial' and 'parallel' 'ramifications'.
What is the difference between a serial and a parallel ramification?

I am very confused as to how I should set up my Customfields in the most logical way for VM3.
Here's the setup I have selling (for example) books:
A.

• Book 1 (exists in abridged and full-text form)
  • Book 2 (exists in abridged and full-text form)
---
B. Both books 1 and 2 (abridged or not), can be bought in the following file formats:

• PDF
  • RTF text file
  • MSWord file
---
C. The only way to buy the books is as pre-set bunches of product variants. E.g.

• Purchase option 1: Book 1 (abridged) in PDF and Book 2 (abridged) in RTF.
  • Purchase option 2: Book 1 (full-text) in RTF and Book 2 (full-text) in MSWord.
  • Purchase option 3: Book 1 (full-text) in PDF and MSWord + Book 2 (full text) in PDF and RTF.

From the list of available Customfields listed below, what type of field should I use for each of A, B and C above?
S: String For text
P: Property Displays a selected property of the product
B: Boolean Legacy, same as string
D: Date Displays a date
T: Time Displays a time
M: Image Displays images
X: Editor The same as string, just with editor for the input in product edit
Y: Textarea The same as string, just with a textfield
C: Multi Variant The most sophisticated custom to combine children as variant, the ramifications are serial/parallel
A: Generic child variant Combines also children as variant, but the ramifications are serialised
E: Plug-ins displays a plugin
G: Custom Group Other customfields can be assigned to groups, for faster adding to products
R: Related Products displays a related product
Z: Related Categories displayes a related category

---Space for quiz answers:For A, use Customfield type: _ _ _ _For B, use Customfield type: _ _ _ _For C, use Customfield type: _ _ _ _

Many thanks in advance for your advice clever people.  :)
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Studio 42

If you have no stock, then you can use String as cart attribute(list), then you get a option list by default in front and you can set price per option if needed.
But in your case, the file is not the same, then it's better to use generic variants and product children so each product can have a custom filed plugin to download the PDF file or RTF. for eg.(you have to buy the plugin).

Hawker

Many thanks for your help Studio 42.
If I've understood you correctly, then I need to:
1. Set up Child products.2. Make a Generic child variant Custom Field.3. Apply the Generic child variant Custom Field to each Child product.

I have already purchased the plugin.
Am still stymied as to what the difference between a Multi variant and a Generic child variant Custom Field is. What the manual says (see below), does not really cast any light.
___

C: Multi Variant The most sophisticated custom to combine children as variant, the ramifications are serial/parallel
A: Generic child variant Combines also children as variant, but the ramifications are serialised
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Jörgen

Multi variant gives the pssibility to have this construct:

T-shirt:
  Green
          size13
           size15
  Red
           size15
                with printed achor
                with printed sailor
           size18
  Blue
      Size15
      Size18
      Size20
You will have three drop down to pick from for red t-shirts and two drop downs for the other colours

With generic child You will have one single drop down;
T-shirt:
  Green size13
  Green size15
  Red size15 printed anchor
  Red size15 printed sailor
  Red size18
  Blue Size15
  Blue Size18
  Blue Size20

The number of children are the same, the presentation is what differ.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Hawker

Jörgen, your anwser is so clear that I am levitating.  :D
Thank you!
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Jörgen

Nice to hear. The number of ramifications is limited, but the presentation is quite nice.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.