News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Renaming Virtuemart Images

Started by Funtshirts, June 08, 2016, 17:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funtshirts

Hello all,

I have uploaded quite a few images, but i realised my images could have way better names then they currently have.
Is there any way to rename all my images without breaking the link? (Or at least easily fixing the link after)

Hope you guys can give me a solution and/or tips :D

And a sidequestion: Are the image names still important for SEO today? Or is the product description and Product title more then enough?

I use:
Joomla 3.5.1
Virtuemart 3.0.16
PHP 7.0.7

Mod edit:  impatient bump message removed. Please read http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=104795.0

tommo27

Hi Funtshirts,

There is no facility of function that will instantly do this for you so you may have to update each product's image manually.  If you have a structure or pattern to your current name format we may be able to put a script together to cycle through the database table, what names are you currently using and what would you like to use?

With regards to the side question, this can be a bit of a grey area.  The image names are not as relevant as I think they perhaps were but there are still a lot of people who use accessibility features so the image name may come in handy in this regard.  Simply put, the best SEO practices are just building a good quality site using sensible names and titles for everything.  As a note, the size of the image (or actually how long it takes to load) will probably influence SEO more than the name you choose.

Let me know if this covers everything and I'll be happy to help further if I can.

Funtshirts

ahhh totally forgot to reply!

sorry about that.
Your answer totally answered my questions. Thanks for your reply. Really helped me out.

marvays

any news? I am looking for any "renamer images filename" too :) Its good for seo :)

Studio 42

Marvays, the alt title is more important, but changing filename cannot be done in Virtuemart.
I wrote a tool, VM Be Pro, to modify directly the images informations You can buy in in my shop here https://shop.st42.fr/en/tools/vm-be-pro-batch-product-edit.htm
But it's not a bad idea to add file renaming in my tool a day but i had no request to do it for now.

marvays

A great plugin would be a plugin that would renames the filename by the product alias when saving the image.

For example
Product title: Puma T-shirt X3000 red
Alias will be: puma-t-shirt-x3000-red

User will upload images of camera as _IMG32548.jpg
Plugins in uploading will change filename to puma-t-shirt-x3000-red.jpg
When user uploading the next image, please save it maybe puma-t-shirt-x3000-red-02.jpg

:)

Or, this plugin may be separated as a component like image recycle. Where to use any image to rename or rename all images in VM. Mabye use can setup product images and manufacturer images :)

marvays

In SEO it did not matter in the past. Today it is more important. In a year it can be very important :)

Studio 42

@marvays, as i explained, VM cannot do it, my tool have not the feature, but i can add it, i add new feature each months by user request. But my tool can already directly modify all the informations in a list, so very quick.
If i add the feature, then you can remane directly the name in this list too.(the list already display products using the image)
See attached screenshot

marvays

Studio 42

marvays, you do a joke or you dont have understand ?
Quote from: Studio 42 on November 30, 2018, 18:00:38 PM
If i add the feature, then you can remane directly the name in this list too.(the list already display products using the image)
I think it's clear that title is not filename, else i had said. My tool already can rename the file.

marvays

marvays

Quote from: Studio 42 on November 30, 2018, 18:00:38 PM
My tool already can rename the file.

Do you have a demo where I can test how filename renaming works?

Studio 42

I have no demo and the feature do not exist for now, so a demo cannot help you, but it's possible to add some features on request in Vm Be Pro.

marvays