News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Clone Product Bug ?

Started by Mister Paul, March 09, 2019, 14:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

Right and it is intended.

Imagine you have set a manufacturer, then you clone the product,... there is the same manufacturer set, obvious. But of course when you go to the manufacturers list, you still see ONE manufacturer. And of course, when you used the same manufacturer 100 times and you see spelling error, then you assume automatically, that you fix the manufacturer entry and it is fixed for any occurences of the manufacturer. The same counts for the media. A lot shops use for 1000s of products always the same standard image. Imagine you sell RAMs, or tubes.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Mister Paul

OK Milbo I understand the "cloning" process now.

But it would be great, useful, to have also a "duplicate" button for almost identical products :
we could then customize them after they have been generated... and with no interaction with original product!

In my eshop I have 3 kinds of products (physical products, downloadable products, virtual products) with custom fields for each kind, but different categories, etc.
Products are unique but with a lot of parameters in common with others. So, as I can't use "clone product", it's time consuming to create a new product from scratch and reproduce the parameters of the product family.

Jörgen

AFAIK ther is no interaction with the original product. If You change manufacturer, add new image items they will belong to the new product and will not go back into the old one. If You use the same a manufacturer both products point to the same manufacturer and in miy opinion would have the same information. Changing the info int the manufacturer object will of course be seen by all using this object.

What do You want to change that You think reflects back to the original product?

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Mister Paul

Milbo took the example of Manufacturer but it's not important in my case as I have only 1 manufacturer.
;)
But as it's said in this thread, if I clone a product the cloned products stay linked. If I change Image or Description, it's automatically repercuted in the other product.
Milbo explained that it is intended. That's why I'd whish a "duplicate" button also!

Jörgen

No that is not the case.

VM uses image items for the images, if You use the same image item it will be displayed at all placed using this image item. But there is nothing to stop You from creating a new image item that uses another image. I do this all the time. Remove the image item from the product and create a new one, do not change the image in the image item, this will show in all places where this item is used.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Studio 42

Quote from: Mister Paul on June 24, 2019, 10:41:33 AM

But as it's said in this thread, if I clone a product the cloned products stay linked. If I change Image or Description, it's automatically repercuted in the other product.
Since when ?
A clone is a real Db copy, so cloned product do not inherit from original when you change something in the original product after.
The media information is in the DB, so if you change media informations, it's for all because you use same media.
If you want change information for same image, then you have to manually copy the link form original file when you create a media, so you have a DB copy, but use same file image.

Mister Paul

not exactly: it's when I customize the clone product that it's repercuted to the original product...
It occurs since I updated in January after I migrate from my old good VM 1... to the actual VM 3... version
;)

What I initially wanted to do was to clone a product (to keep Custom fields, Categories,...) but then change Image, Description, Stock, Size, etc.

Jörgen

Like studio42 and I am trying to tell You. If you change the image in the image media item You will get changes where ever it is used. Remove the used image media item create a NEW image media item and add new images to this item. This works since years. The beauty with the image media item has actually nothing to do with cloning. Sharing image media items works without cloning. Cloning just creates a pointer to the same image media item that the original uses. Remove this image media item (click on the red cross down to the right under the thumb) and upload a new image make sure upload image is ticked (option nr 2 from left under upload) and click save. Now you get a new image media item containing Your new image.

You can also add an already created image media item, just use the search at the top.

All the other fields would be real clones of the original and free for You to change, Image medias should be treated differently.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Mister Paul

I thank you very much Jörgen for your partience.
That's finally clear now.
(but this VM process is tricky guys!)

And Thanks to all!
:)

Jörgen

Nice to hear that you got it straight :)

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x