News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Completing Product Dimensions and Weight - Required field is missing

Started by Hawker, February 18, 2019, 18:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawker

When I complete all fields in the 'Product Dimensions and Weight' page of VM, I get a message popping up saying 'Required field is missing'.

I am assuming that the Product Packaging field is to show the weight of the product's packaging, because there's a 'Kg' drop-down menu to its right. It's strange that that drop-down menu seems to offer arbitrary and incompletely-programmed (?) options (please see attached screenshot). Grammes are not offered as units there, so I converted grammes to Kg for the product packaging field.

Obviously I am not filling the fields in correctly, but I can't see from the API what info. I should be putting in there to stop the 'Required field is missing' message from popping up.

VM3 manual at https://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/products-menu/edit-product.html says:
///
Product Unit The product information page says: "Number (blank) in packaging: " Insert a word into the (blank) here, i.e. "items" "garments" "shirts" "each" "pair" "unit" "piece" "dozen" "pack" etc. Product Packaging The product information page says: "Number (blank) in packaging: ###" Enter the number ### here. If one item is in the package, type a 1 here. Units in Box Number of items in box, i.e. Eggs sold in a carton - 12. Skip if not needed.
///

... but there's no product unit field in VM3 (see attached screenshot). For 'Product Packaging' the manual asks for number of products in the box, but VM3's API also shows a 'Units in Box' field. Very confusing.
Please could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what info I should put where in the VM3 API? Thank you!  :-[
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Hawker

I managed to fix this problem by inserting '1' for Product Packaging (go figure); selecting 'COM_VIRTUEMART_UNIT_SYMBOL' for the unlabelled field to the right of 'Product Packaging' and typing '1' for 'Units in Box' (the meaning of that field is self-evident).

'COM_VIRTUEMART_UNIT_SYMBOL' appears in the unlabelled field to the right of the 'Product Packaging' field when in Configuration>Configuration>Shopfront>Core settings ...the 'Applicable units' of 'item' is added to the 'Applicable units' field there. For some reason, VM3 assumes that by typing 'item' you want 'COM_VIRTUEMART_UNIT_SYMBOL' ...?

This is not explained in the VM3 documentation.
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

GJC Web Design

Hmmm -- I have loads of sites where none of these fields are filled or require/fail validation

what VM version are you using?
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Hawker

VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1