News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Do not Display Product

Started by Topknotch, January 20, 2019, 15:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topknotch

Hi,

This has probably been asked a million times but I cannot find the answer so here we go again.
A product with children dosent display if the parent is out of stock, which does seem a bit daft as it might have 20 children products which cannot be sold as they are not shown.
Is there a way round this ? I did read someone suggesting to put the parent as 10000 in stock so that always shows but the whole system is stock manged, linked to ebay and an epos system so stock levels have to be accurate.
The site is currently set to show notify me, but it would be alot better if it was set to - Do not Display Product
Many thanks in advance.
Joomla 3.9.1 Virtuemart 3.4.2

Jörgen

AFAIK this has been working for ages. I just set top level product not sellable and stock = 1.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Topknotch

Sadly that is not an option.
All products are linked to an ebay account and auto upload to ebay, and stock is removed when sold on ebay.
There are also 1000s of products on the site and probably 50% of them have children so would take weeks to go through them all
Any other ideas please?
Thanks

Jörgen

1000 of products and You just discover this now ?

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Topknotch

yes, I did not think that it would be an issue, surely it is a pretty obvious issue?
if you were selling t shirts , you wouldn't want all the sizes and colours to not be purchasable if you had sold out of the parent one would you ?

GJC Web Design

but isn't the problem that you haven't set the parent correctly?
Can't you simply update directly in the DB that the parent is not sellable and stock 1?
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Jörgen

This was in line with my first suggestion, but it seems like he also needs to move the top product to a lower level. The structure is wrong from the beginning. Seems that a blue t-shirt can be on a higher level than a green t-shirt...
Since You have not noticed this until now, the issue can not be visible on 1000´s of products. Start changing thoose who have sold out their top level product. Or hire someone like GJC to make a dbase change.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Topknotch

if I set up the parent as 1 in stock and non sellable it would mess up all the stock value, ebay and the epos system.
the instructions on how to set up multi variants as shown here - https://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/product-creation/221-multivariant.html - is how the site is set up, so that is correct isn't it?

Jörgen

You can set it up as You have done, but it gives side effects. This is better:
Quote from Your link:
QuoteThe first row in the table is the parent. When the parent has a valid selection that means all dropdowns have a valid value, then the parent is orderable, but if not, then the parent is not orderable and the dropdown will show something like "Choose an option"

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Topknotch

that really annoys me as instructions are given but a very important part is right at the bottom and not even in bold!
and now you guys make out that I have done it all wrong!
I understand you are all voluntary and it is a free eCommerce solution but this is very important!

Jörgen

This is not wrong, is is just not as You want it to be.  It must be up to You to check if it works as expected, right? There is not only one way to do things. Instructions are maybe not as clear as they could be, but some people would enhance other things. It is very hard to please everyone.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Milbo

The funny thing is, most people did not understand  at begin, why I added this possibility.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member