Back in stock notification not working

Started by bennopriceless, January 20, 2019, 06:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennopriceless

VirtueMart 3.2.14
Joomla! 3.8.8 Stable
PHP  7.2.13

Hi,

I have a lot of customers signing up for back in stock notifications but when I update the stock it does not seem the emails are sent. I have subscribed for the notifications on different products on multiple email accounts and it has not worked on any of them.

All other system emails appear to work correctly. Configuration/shoppers/myaccount is set to receive system emails and there are not other users set as vendor in the mysql table. Configuration/emails is set to HTML mail.

In Joomla mail settings "Send mail" and mass email are enabled, and mailer is set to PHP. When I send the test mail, it comes through right away.

I'm fairly new at this so not sure if it is something I'm doing wrong but some advice would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Jörgen

Updating stock does not suffice. If the users are still on the sending list in the products edit the eails have not been sent. You have to manually send the email in product edit by clicking send email.

By the way, You have to make a plan to update Your shop. Both VM and Joomla are old and insecure.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

bennopriceless

Thank you for your reply. I will be updating in the near future.

The send email button doesn't seem to work for me. I click it but nothing loads and no emails are sent. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Jörgen

Can You see a list of custumers in the product edit ? Without a list, no eails. Does the super admin get notified ?

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

bennopriceless

Yes, when I go onto some products I can see 4-5 names/emails that are waiting for the notification. When I check "Users waiting to be notified when this product is back in stock " and then "Use notification template", then send email, nothing happens. It is the same when I choose to type the email manually.

I just subscribed the to product with my super user account and then toggled the stock, tried sending the email again, still nothing.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thank you very much for the help.

Jörgen

I would guess that this comes from an out of date plugin in or extension. You are using PHP 7.2.13.
Turn on full error reporting in Joomla and see what is failing. This could also affect other parts of Your website.

Jörgen @ Kreatuv Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

bennopriceless

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look through the error logs and also see if I can do some updates.

bennopriceless

Hello,

I have now updated my site to the lastest Virtuemart and Joomla (VirtueMart 3.4.3 10005, Joomla 3.9.2) as well as updating extensions except for ones like CSVI and Akeeba backup (I will do these another time). Unfortunately, this didn't help as the back in stock "Send Email" Button still does not work.

I did however, make some progress. I install Sytem Fatal Catcher plugin from here: https://www.rupostel.com/utilities-for-joomla/extensions/fatal-catcher-plugin

Upon installing this and clicking the "Send Email" button, I was bombarded with 30 emails with this error:

Error message data:
4096 Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string in file: /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/src/Language/Language.php line: 364

After receiving these emails, the back in stock notifications were sent and received on my dummy product/email. After disabling the plugin again, the "Send Email" button does not seem to work again.

I checked the code related to the error above but I don't have the experience/knowledge to make any sense of it:

public function _($string, $jsSafe = false, $interpretBackSlashes = true)
{
// Detect empty string
if ($string == '')
{
return '';
}

$key = strtoupper($string);

if (isset($this->strings[$key]))
{
$string = $this->strings[$key];

// Store debug information
if ($this->debug)
{
$value = \JFactory::getApplication()->get('debug_lang_const') == 0 ? $key : $string;
$string = '**' . $value . '**';

$caller = $this->getCallerInfo();

if (!array_key_exists($key, $this->used))
{
$this->used[$key] = array();
}

$this->used[$key][] = $caller;
}
}
else
{
if ($this->debug)
{
$caller = $this->getCallerInfo();
$caller['string'] = $string;

if (!array_key_exists($key, $this->orphans))
{
$this->orphans[$key] = array();
}

$this->orphans[$key][] = $caller;

$string = '??' . $string . '??';
}
}

if ($jsSafe)
{
// Javascript filter
$string = addslashes($string);
}
elseif ($interpretBackSlashes)
{
if (strpos($string, '\\') !== false)
{
// Interpret \n and \t characters
$string = str_replace(array('\\\\', '\t', '\n'), array("\\", "\t", "\n"), $string);
}
}

return $string;
}

Do you have any thoughts on what I could try next or what I could do to fix this?

Thanks again for the help, it is very much appreciated.

Jörgen

Looks like something is wrong with Your language setup. What languages do You use and is this properly installed ? What happens if You switch to english in both front and backend ?

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

bennopriceless

Hi there,

I have selected English (en-gb) in Joomla and Virtuemart and disabled all other languages in manage plugins. Still no change though unfortunately; the "Send Email" button still does not work.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thank you very much.

pinochico

Use app Virtuemart Email Manager with plugin Notify and new view in Virtuemart - Waiting list.
This app send email automatically after you update stock and no need go to product detail - some admins load stock info from csv or ERP :)

https://helpdesk.easy.minion.cz/aplikace/vm-mailing-manager

Rudolf
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

bennopriceless

Thank you for the reply.

Does this work in English or is there an English version of this?

Kind regards

GJC Web Design

QuoteI did however, make some progress. I install Sytem Fatal Catcher plugin from here: https://www.rupostel.com/utilities-for-joomla/extensions/fatal-catcher-plugin

Upon installing this and clicking the "Send Email" button, I was bombarded with 30 emails with this error:

switch xdebug on on your server and the call stack will show you where the libraries/src/Language/Language.php is being called from so u can find the problem
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

pinochico

bennopriceless:

not yet, because this is only helpdesk for our client's from Czech Republic. You can use Google translator.

But version is english, sure.

Rudolf
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

bennopriceless

@pinochico

Thank you very much for the suggestion. If I can't get this working normally I'll use this.

@GJC Web Design

Xdebug doesn't seem to be available with my webhost/cpanel. I have tried checking for PHP errors but it only seems that deprecated warnings show up. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you very much for the help everyone.